Multiple Problems

For Help with Multiple Homework Problems, Ask an Expert

Quiz 2 The Cell and DNA (25 points) Below is a copy of Quiz…

Customer Question
Quiz 2 The Cell and...
Quiz 2 The Cell and DNA (25 points) Below is a copy of Quiz 2 (25 points). Read carefully and answer the questions. This is an open book quiz, however, you are expected to do your own work and for the short answer questions write the answers using your
own words. Submit as a Word or rtf attachment (please put your last name in the file name of attached documents--for example student ***** ***** would be Smith J.Quiz 2. doc). Do not submit your answers as a response to this topic. The quiz is due no later
than June 14, 2015 11:59 P.M. Eastern Time. See the syllabus for the policy on late submissions. Part A. Fill in the blank 1. (1 point) Determine the amino acid sequence encoded in the following mRNA sequence: mRNA codons: AUG GGU GUA AUC GGC ___________________________________________________
2. (2 points) Describe what would happen if GGU in question 1 was changed to CGU, name the type of mutation describe its effect on the primary structure of the polypeptide ______________________ 3. (2 points) Describe what would happen if GUA in question 1
was changed to GUG, name the type of mutation and describe its effect on the primary structure of the polypeptide ______________________ Part B. Short answers Answer in complete sentences using your own words and provide complete citations for the sources
of your information. If you list the sources on the last page, you must provide in-text citations within your answers. 4 (4 points) What role do the existing strands of DNA play during the synthesis of the new DNA strands? Use the following sequence of double
stranded DNA to illustrate how the existing and new strands are related after replication of the molecule (label which are the new and old strands). 3' GATTACAGA 5' 5' CTAATGTCT 3' 5. (3 points) Describe at least three functions of cell membranes. 6. (4 points)
Describe the events and molecules involved in the process of transcription. 7. (3 points) Given an amino acid sequence (amino acids linked together), can one predict a unique corresponding mRNA nucleotide sequence (nucleotides linked together)? Explain how
you arrived at your answer and give an example to illustrate. Part C. DNA Activity (6 points) Perform the virtual "DNA Extraction Activity" in Course Module 2 and answer the following questions. 1) When extracting DNA why should you use an enzyme? a. Unwind
from packing protein b. Pull cells apart c. Slow down extraction process d. Protect DNA from degrading 2) Which of the following protects the ends of the DNA molecule? a. Detergent b. Salt c. Water d. Alcohol 3) What do you use to separate the cells from each
other? a. Strainer b. Blender c. ROH d. Toothpick 4) Why does DNA end up in the alcohol layer at the end of the procedure? a. DNA sinks because it's more dense than the banana mixture b. DNA sinks because it's less dense than the banana mixture c. DNA floats
because it's denser than the banana mixture d. DNA floats because it's less dense than the banana mixture 5) Why do you add detergent to the banana scraps? a. Pull the cells apart from each other b. Protect the DNA c. Dissolve the cell and nuclear membrane
d. Change the density of the DNA 6) What are two things or conditions that could damage DNA if it is not protected by salt in Step 1 of the procedure 7) What would happen if you forgot to add the meat tenderizer? 8) What are at least two uses of the extracted
DNA other than for forensics?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Multiple Problems
6/10/2015
Business Tutor: Mr. Gregory White, Master's Degree replied 2 years ago
Mr. Gregory White
Mr. Gregory White, Master's Degree
Hello, my name is Greg.
I see this might be time sensitive.
Do you still need this answered?
can I get it by sunday moring about 9am?
??
After going through my resources, I do not have what is necessary to complete at this time.
I am opting out and opening up to the other professionals and messaging a couple who might be able to help.
Someone should be with you shortly.
Thank you.
how can I get answer soon? Do I need to request another person?
linda_us
linda_us
linda_us, Master's Degree