Multiple Problems

For Help with Multiple Homework Problems, Ask an Expert

Multiple Problems

Hello Linda, I have a few multiple Choice Questions on

Hello Linda, I have a...
Hello Linda,

I have a few multiple Choice Questions on organizational development. Are you available ?
8/18/2013
linda_us
linda_us, Master's Degree
Thanks for requesting me.

I am available now, please post your questions.

im sorry are you available now?

If these are not timed please post your questions and I will post the reply as soon as I am done.

hello Linda,

They are timed and i wanna make sure you are available so i can post it.

thanks

In that case we can start at 6 PM EST today (around 2 hours from now).

OK thanks

Are we ready ?

I am ready.

1) In her work in the publishing industry, Vera seeks out new authors whom she considers promising. In the past 2 years she has found a number of new writers whose work she thought was exceptional, and immersed herself in the task of helping them shape their manuscripts for submission to her managers for publishing. Although she was extremely proud of the results, none of the authors she worked with were chosen for publication. Vera believes that the decision not to publish these authors was based on personal rivalries within management, rather than the quality of her writers' work. She is extremely frustrated, dreads coming into work each morning, and is seriously thinking of resigning. How can Vera’s job attitude best be described?

A. Low job satisfaction and low job involvement

B. High job satisfaction and low job involvement

C. Low job satisfaction and high job involvement

D. High job satisfaction and high job involvement

2) Julia works as a receptionist at a real-estate company. Her boss just came in the door and yelled at her, telling her that the front office was a mess and that she needed to get up and clean it immediately. After her boss left the room, Julia grabbed three magazines and violently slammed them into the trash can. Which of the following best describes Julia's action?

A. An affect

B. A thought

C. A mood

D. An emotion

3) Erin works on a software help desk. After being yelled at by a customer about the state of her company's software, she becomes angry, and has to take a short break to calm down. What makes her anger an emotion, rather than a mood?

A. It is a simple, unambiguous feeling.

B. It interferes with her capacity to work effectively.

C. It has contextual stimulus.

D. It can be controlled given some time.

4) Any incompatibility between two or more attitudes or between behavior and attitudes results in what?

A. Organizational dissonance

B. Cognitive dissonance

C. Attitudinal clarification

D. Values clarification

5) What is the degree to which a person identifies with his or her job, actively participates in it, and considers his or her performance as being important to self-worth?

A. Job satisfaction

B. Job involvement

C. Job stability

D. Organizational commitment

6) What term is used for those emotions that an organization requires workers to show and considers appropriate for a given job?

A. Felt emotions

B. Required emotions

C. Conditional emotions

D. Displayed emotions

7) Janet needs to assign a very important advertising account to one of her writers. First she reviewed each writers work load, then she studied the sales data of the products for the last three campaigns of each writer, then she reviewed each writer's annual review to familiarize herself with their goals. Finally, she gave the account to Paula, a very creative, efficient writer who has had high sales results with her last three clients' products. What is Janet's management style is based on?

A. Organizational behavior studies

B. Substantive evidence approach

C. Preconceived notions

D. Systematic study

8) Basing managerial methods on the best available scientific evidence is called what?

A. Systematic study

B. Organizational behavior

C. Evidence-based management

D. Conceptual management

9) The manager at a construction site observes that he is spending a great deal of time interviewing prospective employees. This is due to the large amount of absenteeism and turnover among his skilled workers. While questioning exiting employees, he discovers that many of them quit because they feel the work place is too dangerous. In particular, several foremen have stated that the need to get the job done quickly is more important than a few rules, and have gone as far as to mock the courage of workers who question this attitude. What is the best way for the manager to control the deviant behavior of the foremen?

A. Ordering the foremen to conform with the required safety standards

B. Finding out why the foremen place a greater importance on finishing the job than on safety

C. Firing the foremen and promoting new foremen from the current pool of workers

D. Taking over the work of the foreman himself

10) Phil loves sales. He has been a stellar sales person since he was 12. Recently he was awarded a full paid trip for two to Puerto Rico for breaking a company sales record. Phil is so motivated to work, he has set a new goal to break his old record in the coming year. Taking into account self-determination theory, why did the company recognition and award, an extrinsic reward, motivate Phil?

A. The reward was seen as a coercive method of increasing sales and motivated Phil to prove himself intrinsically.

B. The reward was imposed to work toward a standard that Phil could not believe in, and his intrinsic motivation suffered.

C. The reward increased Phil’s sense of competence by providing feedback that improved his intrinsic motivation.

D. The reward increased Phil's sense of competence by providing feedback that diminished his intrinsic motivation.

11) Tony loves programming. He was on the ground level of the computer revolution. This year his boss has set personal goals for each of the programmers, one of which includes a presentation from each programmer about a project. Tony is very annoyed because he has a tremendous amount of work to do and he will have to spend the weekend, his personal time, preparing the presentation. Taking into account self-determination theory, why did his manager’s goals and the presentation reduce Tony's motivation?

A. The internally imposed goal feels coercive, causing Tony's intrinsic motivation to suffer.

B. The self-imposed goal increases his sense of competence, causing the intrinsic motivation to suffer.

C. The externally imposed goal is an external reward, causing Tony's intrinsic motivation to increase.

D. The externally imposed goal feels coercive, causing Tony's intrinsic motivation to suffer.

12) Glendon has a degree in business and worked for 2 years at an international firm in Spain. When the firm suffered cutbacks and Glendon returned home, he took a job at a nonprofit agency mentoring at-risk Spanish-speaking children. Glendon earns a third of what he earned in the business world, but has decided that his new goal is to acquire a larger case load and continue to use his Spanish to help people. Which theory explains why Glendon is happy with a much smaller external reward for his work?

A. Self-imposition of goals

B. nAch

C. Self-concordance

D. Extrinsic motivation

13) Today Marci's boss entered her cubicle and told her that her work has been fantastic, and that because of her last project the client is going to give the company all of their business. Marci's boss continued to talk about what a great job she's doing. When her boss left, Marci felt very confident and satisfied with herself and her job. Marci's boss uses communication in which of the following functions?

A. Motivation

B. Control

C. Emotional expression

D. Information

14) What can managers do to make sure that important information is not withheld from them through silence?

A. Listen to and support diverse opinions.

B. Deal with information overload.

C. Interpret what they see and call it reality.

D. Tell employees what they want to hear.

15) When Neal Patterson, CEO of Cerner Corporation, sent his seething e-mail to 400 managers, he erred by selecting the wrong

A. channel for his message

B. message

C. distribution

D. emotional charge

16) Araceli is a team member in a large corporation. She never speaks in the team meetings because she has seen members talk behind each others' backs outside of the meetings. Members are constantly monitoring the other member's work, looking for a mistake to point out in a meeting. According to the information provided, which contextual factor is most likely hindering the success of Araceli's team?

A. Adequate resources

B. Climate of trust

C. Team structure

D. Performance evaluations

17) Ayesha is leading a group to develop a prototype for a new product. She has chosen three people to work with her. Ben and Tom are good friends and socialize on the weekend. They are both very creative. Julian is older than Ben and Tom, but they have worked together before and been quite productive. Julian is organized. Ayesha has never worked with any of the men, but knows the product well. She brings the highest level of expertise. Which of the following statements best describes Ayesha's group?

A. High norms, low cohesiveness, high productivity

B. Low norms, low cohesiveness, low productivity

C. High norms, high cohesiveness, high productivity

D. Low norms, high cohesiveness, low productivity

18) Irma does not like a few of the standard operating procedures adapted for the new project. However, she discussed the items with the team and told them that she realized she was in the minority and that she would adapt the new procedures to maintain smooth operations within the team. What is this type of intention called?

A. Sacrificing

B. Accommodating

C. Collaborating

D. Compromising

19) Angelina feels that her cubicle neighbor talks too loudly on the phone, but in other ways she is a great neighbor. Angelina gets annoyed every time her neighbor's phone rings, but she has decided it is simply not worth the trouble to talk to her neighbor. What is Angelina's conflict intention called?

A. Avoiding

B. Accommodating

C. Compromising.

D. Collaborating

20) For process conflict to be productive, it must be

A. Kept high

B. Kept low

C. Kept at low to moderate levels

D. Kept at moderate levels

21) The right inherent in a managerial position to give orders and expect orders to be obeyed is termed

A. chain of command

B. authority

C. power

D. unity of command

22) ________ are consistent with recent efforts by companies to reduce costs, cut overhead, speed up decision making, increase flexibility, get closer to customers, and empower employees.

A. Wider spans of control

B. Narrower spans of control

C. Matrix structures

D. Simple structures

23) What is the process through which employees are adapted to an organization's culture?

A. Personalization

B. Mentoring

C. Socialization

D. Institutionalization

24) If there is a basic conflict between the individual's expectations and the reality of working in an organization, the employee is most likely to be disillusioned and quit during which stage of socialization?

A. Prearrival

B. Ritual

C. Metamorphosis

D. Encounter

25) When your superior offers you a raise if you will perform additional work beyond the requirements of your job, he or she is exercising ________ power.

A. Legitimate

B. Coercive

C. Reward

D. Personal

26) Political behaviors usually

A. lie outside of an individual’s specified job performance

B. are counter productive to individual goals

C. are seen only in large organizations

D. are frowned upon by organizational leaders

27) Regardless of the composition of a group, managers can leverage diversity to achieve superior performance by which of the following approaches?

A. Emphasize the higher-level similarities among members.

B. Ensure that everyone knows the importance of diversity in groups.

C. Explain the legal and ethical implications involved of not having a diverse group.

D. Focus on the benefits of having a diverse group.

28) Effective workforce programs that encourage diversity have three distinct components. First, they inform managers about the legal framework for equal employment opportunities and encourage fair treatment. Second, they teach managers how a diverse workforce will be better able to serve a diverse market of customers and clients. Third, they

A. ensure top-level management represents the diversity of its workforce and client base

B. ensure that certain groups have not been underutilized

C. generally involve one-shot training sessions that don’t take up an undue amount of time

D. foster personal development practices that bring out the skills and abilities of all workers

29) If individuals resisting change are included in making change decisions in an attempt to gain their support, what is this approach called?

A. Cooptation

B. Exploitation

C. Manipulation

D. Coercion

30) Which tactic to overcome resistance to change is a relatively easy way to gain the support of adversaries, but may backfire if the targets become aware of the tactic?

A. Conciliation

B. Manipulation

C. Coercion

D. Cooperation

Working on these. How much time do we have?

As of right now 1 and a half hours.

Thanks.

Just checking in on the progress.

linda_us
linda_us, Master's Degree
linda_us
linda_us
linda_us, Master's Degree