Multiple Problems

For Help with Multiple Homework Problems, Ask an Expert

Multiple Problems

1. How does the net present value (NPV) decision rule relate

to the primary goal of...
1. How does the net present value (NPV) decision rule relate to the primary goal of financial management, which is creating wealth for shareholders? (Points : 4)

2. An investment project provides cash flows of $1,190 per year for 10 years. If the initial cost is $8,000, what is the payback period? (Points : 4)

3. A project has an initial cost of $6,500. The cash inflows are $900, $2,200, $3,600, and $4,100 over the next four years, respectively. What is the payback period? (Points : 4)
1.73 years

2.51 years

2.94 years
3.51 years
3.94 years

4. Which of the following statements related to the internal rate of return (IRR) are correct?

I. The IRR method of analysis can be adapted to handle non-conventional cash flows.
II. The IRR that causes the net present value of the differences between two project's cash flows to equal zero is called the crossover rate.
III. The IRR tends to be used more than net present value simply because its results are easier to comprehend.
IV. Both the timing and the amount of a project's cash flows affect the value of the project's IRR.
(Points : 4)
I and II only
III and IV only
I, II, and III only
II, III, and IV only
I, II, III, and IV

5. Phone Home, Inc. is considering a new 6-year expansion project that requires an initial fixed asset investment of $5.994 million. The fixed asset will be depreciated straight-line to zero over its 6-year tax life, after which time it will be worthless. The project is estimated to generate $5,328,000 in annual sales, with costs of $2,131,200. The tax rate is 31 percent. What is the operating cash flow for this project? (Points : 4)

6. The difference between a firm's future cash flows if it accepts a project and the firm's future cash flows if it does not accept the project is referred to as the project's: (Points : 4)
incremental cash flows.
internal cash flows.
external cash flows.
erosion effects.
financing cash flows.

7. In a single sentence, explain how you can determine which cash flows should be included in the analysis of a project. (Points : 4)

8. A project has a unit price of $5,000, a variable cost per unit of $4,000, fixed costs of $17,000,000, and depreciation expense of $6,970,000. What is the accounting break-even quantity? (Points : 4)

9. Variable costs are constant over the short-run regardless of the quantity of output produced. (Points : 4)
True
False

10. Brubaker & Goss has received requests for capital investment funds for next year from each of its five divisions. All requests represent positive net present value projects. All projects are independent. Senior management has decided to allocate the available funds based on the profitability index of each project since the company has insufficient funds to fulfill all of the requests. Management is following a practice known as: (Points : 4)
scenario analysis.
sensitivity analysis.
leveraging.
hard rationing.
soft rationing.

11. A stock has an expected return of 11 percent, the risk-free rate is 6.1 percent, and the market risk premium is 4 percent.
Calculate the stock's beta. (Points : 4)

12. Explain the difference between systematic and unsystematic risk. (Points : 4)

13. Which one of the following should earn the most risk premium based on CAPM? (Points : 4)
diversified portfolio with returns similar to the overall market
stock with a beta of 1.38
stock with a beta of 0.74
U.S. Treasury bill
portfolio with a beta of 1.01

14. A group of individuals got together and purchased all of the outstanding shares of common stock of DL Smith, Inc. What is the return that these individuals require on this investment called? (Points : 4)
dividend yield
cost of equity
capital gains yield
cost of capital
income return

15. Jungle, Inc. has a target debt-equity ratio of 0.72. Its WACC is 11.5 percent and the tax rate is 34 percent. What is the cost of equity if the aftertax cost of debt is 5.5 percent? (Points : 4)

16. Textile Mills borrows money at a rate of 13.5 percent. This interest rate is referred to as the: (Points : 4)
compound rate.
current yield.
cost of debt.
capital gains yield.
cost of capital.

17. It can be argued that the decision to accept venture capital is one of the most critical decisions an entrepreneur must make. Explain why. (Points : 4)

18. A prospectus is a letter issued by the SEC authorizing a new issue of securities.

(Points : 4)
True
False

19. Outdoor Living needs $7.5 million to finance modifications to its production equipment because the design of its all-season tents has changed dramatically. The underwriters estimate that the firm could sel
7/23/2012
Manal Elkhoshkhany
Manal Elkhoshkhany, Bachelor's Degree

Hello

The last question was cut off. Please repost

Actually the last 6 were cut off. Here they are:

19. Outdoor Living needs $7.5 million to finance modifications to its production equipment because the design of its all-season tents has changed dramatically. The underwriters estimate that the firm could sell additional shares of stock at $14.50 a share with a 7.5 percent underwriting spread. This would be a firm commitment underwriting. The estimated issue costs are $121,000. How many shares of stock will Outdoor Living need to sell to finance this project? (Points : 4)

20. Explain how a firm loses value during the bankruptcy process from both a creditors and a shareholders perspective. (Points : 4)

21. Which one of the following states that the value of a firm is unrelated to the firm's capital structure?
(Points : 4)

Capital Asset Pricing Model

M&M Proposition I

M&M Proposition II

Law of One Price

Efficient Markets Hypothesis

22. Which of the following statements are correct in relation to M&M Proposition II with no taxes?
I. The required return on assets is equal to the weighted average cost of capital.
II. Financial risk is determined by the debt-equity ratio.
III. Financial risk determines the return on assets.
IV. The cost of equity declines when the amount of leverage used by a firm rises.
(Points : 4)

I and III only

II and IV only

I and II only

III and IV only

I and IV only

23. The Turtle Cave currently has 160,000 shares of stock outstanding that sell for $60 per share. Assume no market imperfections or tax effects exist. What will the new share price be if the firm declares a 15 percent stock dividend? (Points : 4)

24. HJ Corporation has excess cash and has opted to buy some of its shares of outstanding common stock. What is this process of buying called?
(Points : 4)

stock dividend

stock split

stock repurchase

stock recap

stock repeal

25. Green Roof Motels has more cash on hand than its operations require. Thus, the firm has decided to pay out some of its earnings in the form of cash to its shareholders. What are these payments to shareholders called?
(Points : 4)

dividends

stock payments

repurchases

payments-in-kind

stock splits

working on them :)

Is this timed? If yes, then how long do we still have?

I have about an hour left. I just want to make sure I'm on the right track.

Hello

Please click on the following link for the solutions:

https://www.box.com/s/86758e5c9af3fb53f091

P.S. If you like my services, please feel free to direct your future posts to me specifically by typing "For BusinessTutor" at the beginning of your post. Should you choose to do this, please try to allow me 48 hours before the deadline. If you need to meet me online for a timed assignment, please advise me of the date and time (EST) you want me to meet you here and I will. Please make sure you take the length (and number) of the questions into consideration when making your offer to avoid delays in providing solutions.

Thank you

Manal Elkhoshkhany
Manal Elkhoshkhany, Bachelor's Degree
Manal Elkhoshkhany
Manal Elkhoshkhany
Manal Elkhoshkhany, Bachelor's Degree