Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

My 2017 Polaris ranger 1000 is hard to shift. What are

possible causes?...
My 2017 Polaris ranger 1000 is hard to shift. What are possible causes?
7/29/2021
Motorcycle Mechanic: Eric, Technician replied 1 year ago
Eric, Technician

Just to be on the same page, when you say hard to shift.  Does it grind when trying to attempt to go into gear, or is it physically hard to shift?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It’s physically hart. No grindingHard

Ok, this can be one of a few things.  Most commonly the shift cable is starting to seize up.  The shift lever pushes and pulls a single cable.  These can commonly start to get stiff with age and weathering.  However there are two other possibilities.  That shift lever pivots on a linkage.  If that linkage is rusty or something to that affect it can cause this as well. You can simply undo the cable from that pivot to see if it moves free.  Other then that worst case scenario is there are issues in the transmission.  That cable goes to the transmission and pushes and pulls on a single arm.  So there is not much else that can go wrong there to cause stiff shifting.  However if there are issues internally then this can cause a hard shift as well. again if you find where the cable attaches to the transmission, then you can pull on the shift lever to see if the lever and cable move freely or not, and this can help narrow the search.  If its still stiff, then its the cable.  If it moves very freely, then there may be issues in the transmission.

Eric, Technician
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It’s not a stiff shifting problem. I can’t get the out drive to bolt up to the transomSorry wrong chat