Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

We have a Honda rincon quad. 2008. The reverse gear is

Hello! We have a...

Hello! We have a Honda rincon quad. 2008.
The reverse gear is wearing out. Sometimes It takes a few tries to get the reverse engaged. The reverse still works once it is engaged. Any advice? How much will this cost to fix?

Mechanic's Assistant: Hi there. Have you had issues with your gears before? Have any error codes popped up?

No.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the model of your 2008 Honda?

It’s a Rincon quad.

Answered in 2 days by:
7/19/2021
Motorcycle Mechanic: Eric, Technician replied 1 year ago
Eric, Technician

This is a common issue with the rincons.  Once these get ridden for a while, the shift cable stretches a little bit.  This causes a condition where the gear gets barely engaged.  Over time this wears the gears out if the cable isnt kept adjusted correctly.    The first thing you can attempt to do is get the cable adjusted.  If you look down at the shifter next to the steering column.  You will notice where the lever locks into a neutral, forward, and reverse position.  If you have the atv running, and slowly shift between foward and reverse you can see that they seem to start to engage at a different point.  The gears should start to engage equally forward to reverse.  To adjust this the top plastic cowling is removed from the top of the fuel tank area.  This exposes the shift cable and where it mounted to the frame.  There you can see that there are locking nuts allowing the cable to be adjusted.  This is your best shot at hopefully being able to allow normal shifting.  If not this is a bit of a major repair.  If adjusting the cable does not fix this the worn gears need replaced.  This requires the motor be removed, and the rear case cover removed to replace the gears. The gears needed cost approx $150.  But at this point you will be paying shop rate for motor removal, plus oil, filter, gaskets etc.  With a shop rate approx 90 an hr.  This could be a bill of around $600 approx. Plus cost of parts making this an approx $1000 repair.  Again unfortunately this is common on these.

Eric, Technician