Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have restored a 1981 CB900F. Cylinders 1,2 and 3 run grey…

I have restored a...

I have restored a 1981 CB900F. Cylinders 1,2 and 3 run grey but 4 runs black like the choke is on. Carbs are not flooding, floats same, new float needles, timing correct, shims good. Tried another HT coil in the event it was electrical and runs just the same. Any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you know your ignition timing number? How many miles are on the bike?

Sorry what do you mean by 1gnition timing number? Timing is all correct. Mileage about 60,000

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your '81 bike?

Honda CB900FB

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I am. I used to be a bike mechanic myself. That is the frustrating bit. My thoughts are now to replace Carburettor number 4. As I say all runs well except cylinder 4 as black as hell. Floats and needles are new, not flooding, timing correct. 1 and 4 and 2 and 3 run in those groups. Tried another HT coil but no change.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Think that is about it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
7/6/2021
Motorcycle Mechanic: TIMOTO, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 1 year ago
TIMOTO
TIMOTO, Motorcycle Mechanic

On a bike that old that has probably had the carburetors worked on many times in the past it could be very difficult to locate the problem.

1. With the engine warmed up try turning the idle mixture screw on the bottom of the #4 carb in and see if it makes any difference in the idle speed. If the idle speed increases then the problem is in the idle circuit. Completely remove the idle mixture screw and closely examine the taper on the screw. If the tip is bent then get a new screw and try adjusting the mixture screw again. All of the mixture screws should be adjusted individually to produce the highest idle speed on each cylinder. They should all end up being within 1/4 turn of each other. If #4 is still running rich even with the mixture screw turned all of the way in and if the tip on the old mixture screw was bent then the carburetor body where the taper of the screw fits is damaged and not repairable, it will require a new carburetor.

2. Try swapping the #4 slow speed fuel jet with the #3. If the rich condition moves to the #3 cylinder then the #4 jet is the problem, most likely it was drilled out in a previous attempt to clean the carbs.

3. Inspect the air cut valve on the side of the carburetor body looking for any damage to the rubber diaphragm.

4. Swap the slide , spring and needle from #4 with #3 to see if the problem moves to the other cylinder.

5. Totally disassemble and clean the #4 carburetor body by soaking it overnight in a commercial grade of carburetor cleaner. Rinse and blow dry the carb then verify that the low speed air bleed circuit is not clogged by spraying some aerosol carburetor cleaner thru it.

TIMOTO
TIMOTO, Motorcycle Mechanic