Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have leak near the head gasket area but i cant really tell…

Hi i have leak...

Hi i have leak near the head gasket area but i cant really tell theres no white smoke, no gunk in my radiator cap, but my engine is misfiring

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the hoses? And just to clarify, can you actually see the leak?

Well its an 06 cbr6000rr and i believe it has its original hose yes its leaking oil not coolant and the oil leaking appears to be clean and clear of coolant so its really confusing

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your '06 bike?

Honda cbr600rr

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?

Im just trying to diagnose before i go to mechanic because if its simple maybe i can do it myself and nothing much just cleaning the oil as it was a mess before now that its clean i can see oil seeping out the head gasket area i wish i could send a picture

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Thats most of it thank you for your help\

5/25/2021
Motorcycle Mechanic: BrennanB319,
 replied 1 year ago
BrennanB319
Hey there, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. What’s the model and year of your car?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
its a honda cbr600rr 2006
Motorcycle Mechanic: BrennanB319,
 replied 1 year ago
I see so it’s a bike, are you able to do a compression test? If it can’t hold pressure then you’ll know that the headgasket needs to be replaced
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No compression testi have a picture of the oil leak
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
do you see that little hole above the head gasket? i am almost certain its leaking from there but i dont know the purpose of that
Motorcycle Mechanic: BrennanB319,
 replied 1 year ago
If the cylinder that is misfiring is the same one with the oil leak, then it’s bad compression, if the oil isn’t coming from around the spark plug, then it’s the headgasket.Hold on let me look at the picture
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
okay
Motorcycle Mechanic: BrennanB319,
 replied 1 year ago
Did you buy it second hand?when did the leak start
Motorcycle Mechanic: BrennanB319,
 replied 1 year ago
Does the exhaust look like it’s burning the oil?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no, no blue smoke coming out the tail pipebut oil is dripping around the exhaust manifold causing it to smoke
Motorcycle Mechanic: BrennanB319,
 replied 1 year ago
Oh ok weird, I’ll opt out so somebody with more knowledge about this can tell you what that hole is for.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
lol tell me about itthanks
Motorcycle Mechanic: TIMOTO, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 1 year ago
TIMOTO
TIMOTO, Motorcycle Mechanic

The hole is a drain hole for the sparkplug cavity in the head. An oil leak there is caused by a leaking O ring that seals the valve cover to the cylinder head on that cylinder. If you are going to try to fix it yourself replace all four O rings and the valve cover gasket.

TIMOTO
TIMOTO, Motorcycle Mechanic
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ahhh makes alot of sense, the valve cover area is dry as a bone so i thought that was out of the question. thanks man gonna look forward into ordering the seals and gasket today

Great!