Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I restored a 1980 GS1100 Suzuki and reused the old harness,

I restored a 1980...

I restored a 1980 GS1100 Suzuki and reused the old harness, looked in good shape. All lights work, neutral light, turn signals too but when I switch the run button on the taillight dims just a hair and the starter button does nothing.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?

Yes. I put all new fuses in as well

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '80 Suzuki?

GS1100E

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I installed a Dyna 2000...when I turn the run switch on the red led on the dyna blinks once as it is supposed to.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Not that I know

5/18/2021
Motorcycle Mechanic: TIMOTO, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 1 year ago
TIMOTO
TIMOTO, Motorcycle Mechanic

Try unplugging all of the wires to the Dyna 2000 then turn the ignition and see if the starter turns the engine. If it does then either the Dyna is wired incorrectly or it is defective.

TIMOTO
TIMOTO, Motorcycle Mechanic
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll give it a try
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I unplugged the dyna 2000 from the ignition harness and still nothing from the starter button.

Try using an old screwdriver or wrench to short across the two red wire terminals of the starter relay with the ignition switch off. The tool will arch when making contact but the starter motor should turn the engine. If it does then the problem is in the low current wiring on either side of the starter relay. Use a test light and probe the yellow/green wire connector at the starter relay. The test light should come on when the ignition is on and the starter button is pressed. If not then the problem is most likely corrosion on the starter button switch contacts.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. I will try that when I get home.Thanks I will try that when I get home
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
when I jump the starter relay I hear a dull click but it doesn't turn over. I took the right hand control completely apart and clean all contacts still nothing but what did happen was my stop light on the check panel went off. It was on when I turned the key on before. However with the key on when I switch to run the taillight dims just a bit.

Try using a jumper battery to test the starter motor. Connect the negative cable to a clean bolt on the engine. Install a small long bolt in the positive cable clamp. Touch the bolt on the heavy wire lug of the starter relay that goes to the starter motor. The starter motor should turn the engine. If not or it turns slowly Try removing the cover on the starter motor and try jumping the starter motor at the wire lug where the cable from the starter relay connects. If the starter motor does not turn the engine when jumped directly then either the starter motor is defective or something is binding in the engine.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Loved “Welcome to JustAnswer! The Expert will text you here with a response. Text HELP for help and STOP to end. See terms of service: https://www.justanswer.com/info/terms-of-service?r=sms”
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I used a battery and touched the starter relay and it did turn the motor over. It also turned over when touched straight to the starter itself.
Bad starter relay???????
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There was no connector for this. Extra??
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
These are extra connections as wellAlong with this G/W wire

1. If the starter relay clicks when the starter button is pressed try jumping the relay at the positive battery cable connecting lug of the relay. If it turns the starter when the button is pressed then the one or both of the battery cables are corroded. Try cleaning both ends of both the battery cables and use some dielectric grease on the connectors. If that doesn't fix it then replace both cables. All Suzuki's of that era had problems with grounding of the wire harness ground connector on the frame. The fix is to run a heavier gauge wire from the negative battery terminal directly to the main wire harness ground on the frame. The photo appears to show the frame was repainted. If so be sure to clean any paint off of the wire harness ground connector and add some dielectric grease on assembly.

2. That connector is for the OEM ignition trigger signal generators and is not used with the Dyna system.

3. That connector is for the rear brake light switch.

4. That connector is for the fuel level sending unit in the tank.

5. That should be the connector for the oil pressure switch.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks for the info. The starter button when pressed does absolutely nothing, no clicks anywhere. I will try a better ground but I did scrape the powder coat off first.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I put a volt meter to the y/g wire from the harness (that goes to starter relay) when I turn the key on it shows some current

If there is power to the y/g wire when the start button is pressed then try checking for power at the b/w connector of the starter relay, if it has power when the start button is pressed then there is a problem with the ground connection on the b/w wire. You can confirm that by unplugging the connecter and use a jumper wire from the relay side of the connector to the negative battery terminal. If the relay does not click then the relay is bad.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks. I'll try this when I get home.