Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

ST1300 has been garaged for a few months. I took it for a…

ST1300 has been garaged...

ST1300 has been garaged for a few months. I took it for a ride today. The ride started well with no issues. As i progressed I noticed that the clutch was becoming more difficult to disengage. I found that 'pumping' the lever seemed to work but it soon lost pressure. I parked u and left it for a while and everything seemed to return to normal.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

I went for a short ride again and after about 8 miles the problem started again. there is no slipping and no apparent loss of fluid.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your bike?

2003 Honda ST1300 Pan Eoropean

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't tried anything yet. I'm wondering if it could be an issue with the fluid. I haven't had it for a year yet. If changing the fluid/bleeding the system would help I could do that myself. Anything else I'd have to seek assistam asistance

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

6/2/2020
Motorcycle Mechanic: JOHN DICIAULA, Auto Mechanic replied 2 years ago
JOHN DICIAULA
JOHN DICIAULA, Auto Mechanic
Hi, I’M John TheMotoTech, I hope I can help you out! It sounds like you might be low on fluid. Try topping off the fluid. If fluid level is good then flush fluid. You may have water in fluid. You can’t see it but it’s there. That’s why your supposed to flush it every couple years.
That's what I was thinking. Especially as it got worse as the ride went on and more gear changes were needed. Air in the fluid was my first thought but there was no indication of fluid loss. Water in the fluid was my next guess with it getting hotter with use and cooler when the bike was stopped for some time. Thanks.
i hope i was helpful. Don’t forget to rate me. if you have anymore questions i would be glad to help out. Good luck! John TheMotoTech
JOHN DICIAULA
JOHN DICIAULA, Auto Mechanic