Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

Been riding everyday for some time now, took it for a WOF,

Customer Question

Been riding everyday for some time now, took it for a WOF, swtiched it off, now it wont start!. Stand is up, brake on , no dashboard gauges working, apart from clock that is keeping time, no previous history of same. I've checked 40amp fuses, all okay as far as I can tell. Starter motor turned over when jump started, still no dash gauges!
JA: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?
Customer: Found 3x 40amp fuses , all checked out okay.
JA: What is the make/model/year of your bike?
Customer: Suzuki 650cc Burgman, 2005
JA: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: took it to local garage for warrant of fitness rode it there , parked it , switched off, then when garage went to start it there was nothing coming up on the dash apart from the clock.
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Tested fuses, all good, battery reading 12.53 volts on tester.
Submitted: 4 days ago.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Gabriel Grey replied 4 days ago.

Good afternoon, I hope you are doing well. My name is Gabriel, I would be happy to assist you with this.

It sounds to me like we have an ignition issue, possibly an ignition switch that is failing/failed.

If you have good battery voltage, but no response when the key is turned on then something is not getting the correct request signal. If you have a multimeter we can perform a component test on the ignition switch to verify it does have good continuity and is in fact signaling everything on