Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

2008 harley sportster, fuel overflows at connection of fuel…

2008 harley sportster, fuel...

2008 harley sportster, fuel overflows at connection of fuel line to fuel injector fitting

Mechanic's Assistant: When did you last fill the tank? And do you smell gasoline around the engine?

Yes gas is around the tank

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your '08 bike?

Harley sportster

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I've cleaned the fuel injectors and confirmed that if hooked up to a battary the fire

To add more here. I can hear the fuel pump turn on and fuel flows through fuel line. When the fuel gets to the connection of the fuel injectors it sprays out everywhere at the place where the fuel line enters the housing. I don't have easy access to a volt meter to confirm if the harnesses that connect to the fuel injectors are hot.
This is actually a 2008 Sportster Nightster 1200
9/8/2019
Motorcycle Mechanic: Andre Pilon, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Andre Pilon
Andre Pilon, Motorcycle Mechanic

Hi, my name is ***** ***** i'll be helping you today. Let me look into something for you, be right back.

Thanks.

Thanks I'll wait ro hear from u

Sorry, the pictures you sent don't help, it shows the injector electrical connector. If possible, can you reconnect the injector and send a picture actually showing where the leak is coming from?

Thanks, Andre.

Coming from the open piece shown here, which is where fuel line connectsHere is another with fuel line connected

Didn't get the picture.....

At 12Based on your picture i notice there might be a rubber gasket on the fuel line nipple, i do not have a gasket on my line

The leak is between 12 and 15? The o-rings are inside part #12 if i'm not mistaken. Disconnect the line 15 from the rail 12 and look inside if the o-ring is not just displaced?

let me know what you find.

between 12 and 15No i dont see an oring

When the line 15, is disconnected, is there an o-ring on the end? Not on the end but just a little up(1/4"), just before the flange?

No plastic or rubber o rings on the fuel line or inside of the 12

Hard to see inside #12, you'll need a good flashlight and magnifying glass. They barely protrude inside the cavity.

is the oring supposed to be part of #12 or does it just sit inside? I don't see any o rings in 12 or 15. Maybe they once feel off. Would that cause the fuel to leak and spray?

Sorry for the late reply, not getting notifications for some reason. Yes, that would definitely cause fuel to spray all over the place.

Ok I'll go buy an o ring now thank u

If i remember correctly, i think one o-ring is on the line and the other one is inside #12

Are they the same size?

Unfortunately, Harley doesn't sell the o-rings separate. If you try aftermarket(auto parts store), make sure they are fuel resistant o-rings(nitrile). It'll be very hard to find the proper diameter(hit or miss multiple times). Was the line 15 ever disconnected from 12 before it started leaking?

If you have an HD dealer close by, i would take the line off and bring it over to their parts department see if they have anything, it's probably the same o-ring as in the fuel system of another model.

it was disconnected prior a few times. I replaced the o rings in the quick disconnect and the fuel pump so I took off the fuel line multiple times

The o-ring probably fell off by accident. Like i said earlier, check with the dealer if you have one close by or if you want to try and find the right size at an auto parts store? Just make sure it's a fuel resistant o-ring.

Ok thanks man, I'll run to autozone and bring it with me

No, problem. Hopefully you get the right size and it works first shot....

Thanks, Andre.

Andre Pilon
Andre Pilon, Motorcycle Mechanic