Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

The battery is fully charged and i just put gas but it

Customer Question
The battery is fully...

The battery is fully charged and i just put gas but it doesnt do anything.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

No i just got it. I dont what could be the problem. Im assuming its just the battery

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your motorcycle?

2018 ghost cruiser harley clone

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?

Ive tightened all the fasteners. Ive changed out the oil. And have been focused on the battery. Everything else seems fine but i have no idea

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Its a japanese made bike shipped to me.

Submitted: 14 days ago.Category: Motorcycle
8/6/2018
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 14 days ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer; an independent site with members providing product information, repair tips and technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.

My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your question.

I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you.

Initially, let's try check and review the basics. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done) and even if just for test purposes:

• • check/replace the main fuse co-located with the starter relay;
  • • attempt to start with the clutch lever pulled in; and
  • • side stand folded up;
  • • re-inspect the battery, its ground lines to the harness, frame & engine, and/or re-check and re-clean the battery cables + terminals, connectors and wiring including fuse(s), fuse holder(s) and fusible link(s) (if so equipped);
  • • more importantly, have the battery externally charged; and
  • • then also have the battery LOAD TESTed (even if new/charged and just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect);
  • • locate the starter relay, start by following the big cable from the + terminal of the battery as it always ends up tied to 1 of the 2 big terminals of the starter relay/solenoid;
  • • jump the 2 big terminals of the starter relay using an old wrench or screwdriver. Expect a big spark. Starter motor should turn;
  • • if yes, but the starter relay still only clicks (or no click) when attempting to start, then the starter relay is likely faulty and/or the circuitry attendant to it;
  • • if not, then the starter motor and/or battery-cables would be the suspect.