Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

When I quickly open the throttle at high rpm the engine

Customer Question
When I quickly open...

When I quickly open the throttle at high rpm the engine hesitates and looses power before accelerating.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the fuel filters?

Transmission has 20k miles and is 18 yrs old

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '18 motorcycle?

Cleaned and synched carbs and replaced fuel filter ~ 4k miles ago 2001 yamaha vstar

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am fixing the bike myself and I have done nothing beside pm.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
6/1/2018
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 2 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer; an independent site with members providing product information, repair tips and technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.

My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your question.

I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

Initially, let's try check and review the basics. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done) and even if just for test purposes:

• • remove the spark plugs to be able to check the burn color of the tips;
  • • to determine whether mix is lean or rich;
  • • ensure original air box and filter correctly/tightly fitted;
  • • with no possibility of an air leak.
Rear plug is on the left front on the right in both pictures

Appreciate the pictures and yes, front appears to be lean.

If no air leak, then possibly adjustment needed on the needle valve height. Consider/try raising the front carb's needle by lowering the circlip lock to compensate/correct lean condition.

The alternative is to redo the (front) carbs.

I wasn't able to work on the bike this weekend I will get to it next weekend. If the needle valve adjustment does not fix the hesitation should I look at float valve height and fuel pump next? Could valve lash being out of spec cause the hesitation?
Should I make the needle adjustment on front only or both carbs?

JUst on the front please.

And will start with this adjustment as both an attempt of a fix and as a test by process of elimination.

The objective is adjust to make both burn colors nearly the same first and then make both slightly rich eventually (if hesitation persists).

Can we keep this question open until next weekend when I can get to adjusting the needle and testing the bike

No prob on my end; post an update when conveniently able and I would get a prompt to reply soon as able too.

Appreciate the pictures and I understand.

Yes on use of a shim / small flat washer to raise the needle.

Also consider (even if just for test purposes) adding a layer or 2 of (generic) air filter over the "...k&n washable filter...".

The general idea to correct the lean condition is to allow more fuel and/or restrict air entry.