Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

My clutch is whining when I chop the throttle. Now its

Customer Question
My clutch is whining...

My clutch is whining when I chop the throttle. Now its making a chirpy whining sound when hot not when cold and on the throttle. 2001 road king

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

No it doesent affect the clutch, no slipping or jerking

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '01 motorcycle?

Road king classic

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?

I took off the inspection plates, it looks fine a little fiber stuff in there but seems normal primary chain tension is fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think thats it

Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: Motorcycle
5/30/2018
Motorcycle Mechanic: kwiggins29059, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 22 days ago
kwiggins29059
kwiggins29059, Motorcycle Mechanic

Hello, if the primary chain tension is good and the shoe on the tensioner looks good the next item would be the inner primary bearing. The stock HD ones have a tendency to fail and do this. I recommend going with this baker unit for replacement.

My goal is to provide 5 star service. Please take a moment to rate my service using the stars at the top of the page. Rating/accepting does not cost extra and ensures I'm credited for my time and knowledge. It also does not close your question if you have a follow up concerning this. Thank you for using Just Answer!

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Is that hard to change? Iam an ok mech.

It's not a bad job, it involves pulling the primary cover, chain, clutch basket, compensator and inner primary. I suggest picking up the HD manual and devoting about 6-8 hrs to it.