Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

When I turn it on, the lights come on, then I hit the

Customer Question
When I turn it...

When I turn it on, the lights come on, then I hit the starter and the bike starts but as soon as I release the starter button, the bike shuts off, but the lights remain on, Im stumped

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Heaqd lights and the front running lights

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your motorcycle?

Late 93 FXDWG

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yup

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Basically, thats it, I am a former Naval Aviation Electrician and Im kinda working in the dark on this...

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
5/2/2018
Motorcycle Mechanic: Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 2 months ago
Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic

your engine requires just 3 things to start and run:

- spark (timed ignition)

- fuel (proper air/fuel mixture)

- compression (suitable compression pressure)

you need to determine which one you are losing when yu release the start button.

the easiest things to check are spark and compression.

check for spark with a spark tester.

perform a compression test. let me know if you need instructions.

I suspect low compression.

let m know if you need more help.

Steve

thanks for your help, I believe its in the ignition module, the bike runs until I release the starter button, so, that tells me I have compression and fuel flow, and since they are not controlled like the ignition module which controls the electrical aspect of the bike, I am going to go with the electrical problem from the module for now, but I do thank you for your assistance...
Bob

I believe your assumption is incorrect.

I suspect low compression. if you had no spark it would not fire at all.

let me know if you need more help.

Steve

Motorcycle Mechanic: Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 1 month ago

let me know if you need more help.

thank you,

Steve