Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

Radio sound works with key on but there is no sound after…

Customer Question
Radio sound works with...

Radio sound works with key on but there is no sound after starting

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes everything works except sound after starting

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your motorcycle?

2016 street glide special 6.5 boom box radio

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes it worked fine after installing amp but quit working after restarting in a trip still works fine with key on until the start button is pushed

Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: Motorcycle
3/31/2018
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 22 days ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer; an independent site with members providing product information, repair tips and technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.
My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your question regarding your "...no sound..."
I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

Initially, re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the "...amp..."

Still, let's try check and review the basics. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done) and even if just for test purposes:

• • ensure presence and consistency of BAT+12V on the amp's B+ supply terminal;
  • • test for the trigger/ACC +12V on the amp's REmote terminal;
  • • verify amp and radio ground s are tied to the Honda's body ground and not only to the harness' green wire/s.
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Street glide Harley it is a clarion amp it worked for a couple of hours riding when I stopped and started back again the sound came on with the switch but went off when I pushed the starter button now if you turn switch off and back on sound works until you push starter switch and stays off until you turn it off and back on again
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 21 days ago

Apologies, my bad. The ground wire posted above would still hold true but would be a black wire not a green.

Also it would help to know the amp's exact model number.

As well as a multi-meter to be able to measure the voltages of amp's wiring before and after starting the HD.

Louie, Technician