Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

This question regards my 1999 honda nx 650 motorcycle. It…

Customer Question
Hi, this question regards...

Hi, this question regards ***** ***** honda nx 650 motorcycle. It won't stat, fuel system is ok, I have checked the spark and found, with new plug, that I only get spark on cranking as I push the starter button and when I release the starter button but no spark as the motor cranks. Any suggestions?

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

This is the first time

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Most likely if it only requires a replacement part

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I think that is all the information I can supply at a the minute

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
3/31/2018
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 3 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer; an independent site with members providing product information, repair tips and technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.
My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your question regarding your "...1999 Honda NX 650 Dominator..."
I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

Initially, let's try check and review the basics. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done) and even if just for test purposes:

• • ensure green wire of CDI unit and ignition coil are tied to good ground;
  • • verify presence and consistency of IGN+12V on the yellow/red and black/white wires to the CDI;
  • • it may be an advantage to hardwire a secondary ground line from the battery's - terminal to the frame, to the engine and to the harness' green wires and their common tie points.