Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

My 2003 zzr600 is only running on 2 cylinders, Ignition coil…

Customer Question
My 2003 zzr600 is...

My 2003 zzr600 is only running on 2 cylinders

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your bike?

Ignition coil is good i tested it on the other side

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery lately?

Put a brand new one in

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '03 motorcycle?

Kawasaki Zzr 600

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes i am, i jave checked for shorts in the wires for the coil that sparks cylinder 1 and 4 I tested to see if thr coil was bad, it works fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

There are also no fuses blown

Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Motorcycle
3/29/2018
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 28 days ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer; an independent site with members providing product information, repair tips and technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.
My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your question regarding your "...2003 zzr600..."

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Hello, and thank you im hunter

Initially, which "...2 cylinders..." are running please?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Cylinder 2 and 3 run

And do you have a multi-meter available?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I do but i dont have betteries at the moment, the ignition coil for cylinder 1 and 4 does work thouhh i tested it by swapping it to the other side

I understand.

Still, I was hoping to test for:

• IGN+12V on the red wires to these ignition coils;
  • pulsating voltage of the black and green wires from the I.C. ignitor to the ignition coils.

Incidentally, is the fuel pump working as expected? ...tachometer?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Pulsating viltage is the reading while im rolling the bike over? Vould you let me know what my readings should be when i test for them? Im actually not sure if the tach works i jave seen the neetle move but i just bought this bike and when it was running no more than 500rpm which wouldnt read it

The expected voltages when attempting to startare:

• 12V on both red wires to the ignition coils;
  • pulsating voltage from 12V to nearly 0.0V on the black and green wires.

The ignitor switches these 2 wires to ground thus the pulsing 12V...0.0V...12V...0.0V

Sorry, but "...dont have betteries at the moment..." for the multi-meter? ...or for the bike?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
For the multimeter i was thinking for future refrence. I just want know know all the tests i should do. Also could the cdi box be fowled even though on coil works

Yes, it is possible that the ignitor (CDI) to be (partially) faulty hence 2 & 3 coil's green wire gets driven but not (or weak) on the black wire for the 1 & 4.

It is also possible to check for spark with the spark plugs removed and left dangling/grounded to the engine. Please click HERE. Exercise due care and caution if would be attempted.

It must be posted that the black wire driving the ignition coil for 1 & 4 also drives the tachometer and fuel pump relay.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I believe the fuel pump is working due to i had the bike running for about 5 min on the 2 cylinders

Try the spark test on all 4 spark plugs.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I have they all have spark and i also cleaned the plugs with wire wheel

"...all have spark..." would indicate that it is not an ignition issue why 1 & 4 are not firing. The ignition coils are good as well as the ignitor.

It would then appear to be a fuel starvation concern.

Have you checked/cleaned the carbs?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
My apologies i thought you ment the spark plugs them self. There is no spark on cylinder 1 and 4. Only 2 and 3. But if the plug the ignition coil for 1 and 4 into the other side of the bike i get spark. Im not getting power or somthing to wires for the ignition coil for 1 and 4

I understand.

Could you try jumping the red wire for the 1 & 4 ignition coil to the red wire of the 2 & 3 ignition coil?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Okay so i know its the black wire that goes to the fuel pump relay and tach.
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 27 days ago

Yes, the same black wire drives:

• fuel pump relay;
  • tach;
  • ignition coil for 1 & 4.

And the same IGN+12 delivered to both ignition coils through their individual red wires.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
The red wires are delivering power but that black wire is causing the issue. What should be my next steps to determine why its failing

For test purposes / checking spark 1 & 4, (temporarily) disconnect the tach's and fuel pump relay's connections.

The idea is to let the IC ignitor drive only ignition coil 1 & 4:

• see if either tach or fuel pump relay is robbing power;
  • or IC ignitor's output for the black wire is weak.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I know where the fuel pump relay is located vut where is the tach relay

There is no tach relay. The black wire delivers pulses to the tach's electronics that interprets/converts the pulses to RPM.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I bought new plugs and I got a circuit tester. The red wire lights up really bright bit the black wire is really weak even unplugged from the pump relay

"...black wire is really weak..."

Can you try do the same to the green wire? ...and compare with results of the black wire

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Green wire has strong current and pulsation also the ignition coil for 1 and 4 is pretty warm from me rolling it over
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I also plugged the other coil to the 1 4 side and it got warm as Well but it doesn't warm up on th 1 3 side

Based on these results/observations, it would appear that the IC ignitor is (partially) faulty hence a replacement is warranted.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
What bikes would offer the same if igniter as this one? Just so I have a better much finding on that will work for this bike

2003 Kawasaki ZZR600 ZX600E IC Igniter P/N###-##-####br />Also used by 1995 to 2004 Ninja ZX-6 ZX600E;

Louie, Technician