Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 1999 Honda 350 4 wheeler with a new battery and it…

Customer Question
I have a 1999...

I have a 1999 Honda 350 4 wheeler with a new battery and it will not keep a charge. Something is draining it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

No. What is the best way to do this.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '99 Honda?

I will have to get it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I would like to fix it myself. Model #TRX350 fm5

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
3/29/2018
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 3 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer; an independent site with members providing product information, repair tips and technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.
My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your question regarding your "...1999 Honda 350 4 wheeler..."
I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

Initially, let's try check and review the basics. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done) and even if just for test purposes, temporarily disconnect the regulator.

And then:

• • re-inspect the battery, its ground lines to the harness, frame & engine, and/or re-check and re-clean the battery cables + terminals, connectors and wiring including fuse(s), fuse holder(s) and fusible link(s) (if so equipped);
  • • more importantly, have the battery externally charged; and
  • • then also have the battery LOAD TESTed (even if new/charged and just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect).

Then try/test the Honda with the regulator still disconnected and note if the symptom of "...will not keep a charge..." would persist.