Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have an 09 850 and it started to smoke and has alot of…

Customer Question
I have an 09...

I have an 09 850 and it started to smoke and has alot of crankcase pressure. Any ideas

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Have you been losing oil or coolant?

600 miles and coolant is ok and yes it burns so much oil it has a plug fouled out now

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 850 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Im a pretty good mechanic thought maybe valve seals but just not sure

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
3/28/2018
Motorcycle Mechanic: Pete, Mechanic replied 4 months ago
Pete, Mechanic

If it has a lot of crankcase pressure it has broken piston rings. Did the engine overheat in the past? You said 850 what make and model is it?

Its a sportsman xp. Dont think its gotten hot but maybe packed the radiator with mud and it did

Can you get a bore scope and check the cylinder that is fouling the plug? It sounds like it has broken the rings in the fouled out cylinder. If you continue to run the engine it will tear up the cylinder wall.