Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a Honda 350fourtrax 1986 the problem is when I put it…

Customer Question
I have a Honda...

I have a Honda 350fourtrax 1986 the problem is when I put it in gear the motor will die as if you turned off the key . Place it back in neutral and you can start it right up also it will die when riding for no reason. Also replaced the battery starter coil spark plug fuel filter. help

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?

This is a atv

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '86 Honda?

Trx350fourtrax. 1986year

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced fuel filter battery coil spark plug starter.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes I checked all wires for damage all looks good owned since new I wish it would just quit totally easer to trace problem

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Motorcycle
3/27/2018
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 26 days ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer; an independent site with members providing product information, repair tips and technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.
My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your question regarding your "...Honda 350fourtrax 1986..."
I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

Initially, let's try check and review the basics. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done) and even if just for test purposes:

• • (temporarily) disconnect the black/white wire of the CDI unit;
  • • test for consistency of pulsating voltage on the black/yellow wire from the CDI to the ignition coil;
  • • as well as high pulsating voltage on the black/red wire from the exciter coil of the alternator/stator;
  • • and low pulsating voltage between the blue/yellow and green wires of the pickup coil.
Louie, Technician