Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a honda rebel 250 2001. Operated perfect 2 weeks ago.

Customer Question
I have a honda...

I have a honda rebel(###) ###-#### Operated perfect 2 weeks ago. Then it started bogging when I gave it any gas except when I feathered the throtle, now it won't start at all. I cleaned the carburator, put a new air filter in and drained the drain tube, but it still won't start

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the last time the filter was replaced? How has your mileage been lately?

Low miles. The air filter is brand new. for winter

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '01 Honda?

CMX250C2, I believe. It's not a california model.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your California yourself? What have you tried so far?

Cleaned the carburator. Changed the air filter. Used seafoam in the gas

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
3/22/2018
Motorcycle Mechanic: kwiggins29059, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 4 months ago
kwiggins29059
kwiggins29059, Motorcycle Mechanic

Hello, have you verified fuel flow to the carb? This model does have a vacuum operated petcock. HAve you tried spraying starting fluid in the air filter and starting?

I have a clear fuel line, that I just installed a part of my attempted repair.
Fuel is going to the carb.
No, I have not tried starting fluid on the air filter.

OK thanks for the additional info. Try the starting fluid trick, if it cranks up we know it's fuel related if not it's ignition related. Let me know

what you find and we can work further.

Ok, thank you. How do I spray the starter fluid? Directly onto the new airfilter?

Yes, if there's a cover or anything remove it and spray some onto the filter itself