Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have an artic cat 500, 2005. When I turn the key on the…

I have an artic...

I have an artic cat 500, 2005. When I turn the key on the engine hot light immediately comes on and stays on even though the engine is cold. 'what may be the problem please?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the bike in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your bike has a "wheel lock" feature?

The bike is in neutral. Don't know if it has a wheel lock feature. It does have a brake lock.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '05 motorcycle?

It is an ATV, artic cat 500 - year model 2005

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am going to try to fix it myself. All I have tried is to check the radiator fluid. I am going to drain the gas tank, replace with new gas. Remove the shroud around the radiator, clean the radiator fins, check the thermostate and proceed from there.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of.

3/22/2018
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer; an independent site with members providing product information, repair tips and technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.
My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your question regarding your "...artic cat 500 - year model 2005..."
I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

Initially, let's try check and review the basics. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done) and even if just for test purposes:

• • check the thermo switch;
  • • ensure that none of its wires may have been pinched to frame/engine ground;
  • • trace/check/clear the green/white and/or green/blue wires.
Louie, Technician
I haven't tried those suggestions yet. I am bi-vocational and only have a limited time to work on my machine. I plan on doing some work on it this weekend. I'll let you know.