Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

2002 honda foreman 450es not getting power to shift motor.

Customer Question
2002 honda foreman 450es...

2002 honda foreman 450es not getting power to shift motor. I've replaced every electrical component including ecu and wiring harness.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

Nope. also replaced the clutch plates and discs.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '02 Honda?

450 450FE ES

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your ES yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. We're a shop in utah. So far weve replace the entire wire harness and all electrical components

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I also replace the clutch discs and plates and adjusted the clutch free play.

Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Motorcycle
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Hello?
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
is anyone there?
3/20/2018
Motorcycle Mechanic: TIMOTO, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 29 days ago
TIMOTO
TIMOTO, Motorcycle Mechanic

Was the shift motor replaced? Describe how you are testing for power to the shift motor.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
replaced the shift motor, angle sensor and all other sensors. shift motor should be getting about 5 vdc and its not getting anything.
Motorcycle Mechanic: TIMOTO, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 28 days ago

The shift motor has an orange and a green wire. I test for power by unplugging the wire connector and wiring in a taillight bulb on the harness side of the connector. Polarity doesn't matter as the polarity is switched in the ecu depending on up or down shift. When the shift button is pressed the light will come on one time and then the ignition switch will have to be switch off and on again each time the button is pressed either up or down. If the light is not coming on then the thing to check is the shift switch. Disassemble the handlebar switch and check for power to the black/red wire at the back side of the switch with the ignition on. It should be 5 volts. Next check for power out of the switch at the white/blue on upshift and at the white/yellow on downshift also 5 volts. If good check the same color wires for voltage at the backside of the ecu.

TIMOTO
TIMOTO
TIMOTO, Motorcycle Mechanic