Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

Changed out the ECU on a 2004 FLSTCI with aECU off of a 2005…

Changed out the ECU...

Changed out the ECU on a 2004 FLSTCI with aECU off of a 2005 FXSTDI & now i get the red key symbol on speedometer & it won't let it start, what can be done for this it's the same ECU unit?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Nothing wrong with battery terminals, just that i get the key symbol after changing, do i need to rest the security code for this ECU?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '04 motorcycle?

2004 Heritage & the ECU i put on it come off a 2005 Deuce

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes i just put a stage 2 kit off the 2005 deuce onto the 2004 heritage, but there's a down load on the 2005 ECU for the kit, bike will run with old ECU, but when i put he one on from the Deuce i get the key symbol, at first it cranked like it was going to start but after a few tries it wouldn't do anything & i got the red key light on speedometer

3/19/2018
Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic

you need to perform the "password *****" procedure.

Special Note: During the Password ***** procedure the ignition will remain in the "On" position for an extended period of time (30+ minutes). While "On", power is supplied to the headlight thus draining the battery. If the battery charge drops below a certain level during the Password ***** procedure the process will cease and you will have to start over. To avoid this connect a trickle charger to the battery throughout the procedure.

TSM/TSSM ECM Password ***** Procedure
Step Action Confirmation Notes

1 Set Run switch to Run

2 Turn Ignition key On-Off-On-Off-On-Off-On and then toggle
the Left Turn Signal switch twice.

3 Turn Ignition key Off-On Verify the Check Engine lamp and Security Lamp illuminate
briefly and then turn off Security lamp will not illuminate on non-security
(TSM) Twin Cam models.

4 Attempt normal start one time. Engine starts and stalls immediately. check engine
lamp stays on. Password ***** not been learned and sets trouble code P1009, thus stopping fuel
flow.

5 Wait 10 seconds Security Lamp remains lit for V-Rod and TC88 with TSSM. Lamp will not be on for TC88 TSM models. ECM enters Password ***** mode for 10 minutes. Do Not cycle the ignition or disrupt power.

6 Wait until Security Lamp turns off or a minimum of 10 minutes has passed.

7 Quickly (within 2 seconds) turn Ignition key OFF-ON Security Lamp remains lit for V-Rod and TC88 with TSSM. Lamp will not be on for TC88 TSM models.

8 Wait until Security Lamp turns off or a minimum of 10 minutes has passed. Password ***** mode for 10 minutes. Do Not cycle the
ignition or disrupt power.

9 Quickly (within 2 seconds) turn Ignition key OFF-ON Security Lamp remains lit for V-Rod and TC88 with TSSM. Lamp will not be on for TC88 TSM models.

10 Wait until Security Lamp turns off or a minimum of 10 minutes has passed. Password ***** mode for 10 minutes. Do Not cycle the ignition or disrupt power.

11 Quickly (within 2 seconds) turn Ignition key OFF-ON Security Lamp light and then turn off. Lamp will not be on for TC88 TSM models.

12 Turn Ignition switch OFF. Wait 15 seconds. Turn Ignition switch ON and start engine to confirm the Password ***** Procedure is successful. Engine will start and remain running. If engine immediately stalls and fails to restart the Password ***** mode was not successful. Start over at step 1.

The above steps must be timed and performed exactly as described. Any deviation will require you to start again from step 1.

Steve

Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
I got the ecu to work on the bike, thank you for the info, the bike runs fine but I get the codes PO261 & PO263, I know this is the injectors but they are the same as the deuce this kit came off of. The battery is up, checked all connections & no problems anywhere that I can see. Open for suggestions?

if the engine runs, they are not current codes.

they must be historic codes.

they will go away after 50 run cycles.

Steve

Thanks Steve they are old codes