Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

Have a MiniKolt 50cc 2 stroke quad that will not run. New…

Have a MiniKolt 50cc...

Have a MiniKolt 50cc 2 stroke quad that will not run. New carb, cdi and plug. Good spark but wont start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Cranks over fine.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your motorcycle?

2002

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, myself. For a friend. Didnt have spark so i got a new plug and cdi. Have spark now. Bought a new carb also. Also have rebuilt the top end.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Had to remove the brake lever to get it to crank. Will not even fire if i put some fuel in cylinder...

3/17/2018
kwiggins29059
kwiggins29059, Motorcycle Mechanic

Hello, if it has spark and still will not fire with fuel in the cylinder or starting fluid sprayed into the air intake then it's a compression issue. Either a poor ring seal, or leaking head gasket. If you used new rings but did not hone the cylinder you may need to go back and do that. Ifthe cylinder was honed you may need to crank the engine more for the rings to seat.

My goal is to provide 5 star service. Rating/accepting does not cost extra and ensures I'm credited for my time and knowledge. It also does not close your question if you have a follow up concerning this. Thank you for using Just Answer!

it was a new piston, cylinder, ring set.

Thanks for the additional info. A quick compression test will confirm but likely the rings have not seated in the new cylinder yet. If it's a manual gearbox I would suggest pulling it slowly in 3rd with another vehicle to help avoid frying the starter. If auto use the starter in short 15-30 second cranks with some wait time in between to allow it to cool. Once compression gets up to around 80-90 psi it should start with some starting fluid sprayed into the air filter. Then run it around 1500RPM for 2-3 minutes to help seat the rings the rest of the way.

Just did compression test. Had throttle wide open and used kick starter. Showing 85psi.

Thanks, ***** ***** enough to start. Have you tried starting fluid/either in the air cleaner yet vs fuel in the cylinder? Usually that works a little better since it's a vapor.

have tried starting fluid. Checked spark again and now I don't have any. Seems like an intermittent spark issue...

OK, I know you replaced the cdi, did you replace the pick up coil for the cdi? Also check your wires between the two with an ohm meter while moving the the harness around. There may be a break in one of the wires.

The pickup from the stator to the coil?

Looks like this it produces ac voltage to trigger the coil

I did not replace it but there is continuity through the wire. It runs to the cdi.

OK if you have continuity on the wire to the cdi check to see if the pickup produces any ac voltage while cranking. It probably won't be much maybe 1-5 volts. You can also check to see if its open or shorted.

Only showed .11. I put the positive in the pickup wire going to cdi and grounded other lead.

Thanks, ***** ***** the pickup coil is going. I would go ahead with replacement.

Ok, guess I'll order one and see what happens...

That's pretty much the last piece to the puzzle so to speak. It should resolve the issue.

Thanks... I'll get one coming today. Any certain gap?

I don't see a spec for this one but a good rule of thumb is .014 to .017

Ok, thank you!!

You're welcome, It's been a pleasure to assist you.

kwiggins29059
kwiggins29059, Motorcycle Mechanic