Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

The bike turns the electrical system on but when I press the…

Customer Question
Hello, the bike turns...

Hello, the bike turns the electrical system on but when I press the start button it doesn't do anything almost like the kill switch is turned on

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

I checked them, cleaned them and they are ok

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your motorcycle?

Yamaha r1 99

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?

It has a aftermarket immobiliser that has not been working for years and it usually doesnt give me any issues, tried to look for a wire diagram to remove it but cant find one as some wires were cut when it was installed

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The main problem started when the battery was not being charged now it went further to the start button does not work

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
1. The bike was standing for about 6 months, but I turned it on every 2 to 3 weeks. battery is 3 months old
2. I went out on a ride for the first time. It was about 1 hour ride. Turned it off and sat there for about 2 hrs. I went back to it and then turned on and while I was riding the engine cut off and just before the dash was flickering.
3. I tried to turn it on and sounded like the battery was flat
4. got the tow truck out and he started it with jump leads and went for a ride, after 5 minutes it died. He confirmed that the volts were low and therefore the battery was not charging.
5. I got it home, I tool the seat and fairings off and checked all cables. on inspecting the battery the negative connection was loose, and noticed that there was an old immobilizer cable that it is still connected to some cut wires but I have never had to do anything to it.
6. I took the fuse out from one of the cables from the immoboliser and cleaned it as it was dirty. put it all back
7. on trying to start when I turn the key the lights go on and the neutral light comes on but on pressing the start button there is no noise.
8. I noticed when i turn the key there is no relay noises that I used to get before starting the bike.
9 tried to jump start it with car and the same thing happens.
the immoboliser installed is an after market Sola-Larm SLA 840T - I wanted to remove it as it doesn´t seem to affect the bike and I cannot find anywhere how to revert it as all thewires that were cut to join to the immoboliser are the same colour. Not sure if me touching the fuse has changed something on the immoboliser hense why I wanted to remove it
Answered in 3 days by:
3/21/2018
Motorcycle Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 3 months ago
Pete, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here since your question has been sitting for so long.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Unfortunately, my info is not showing a procedure on the wiring for this model immobilizer system.I do recommend to remove it completely and to wire your model back to the factory to see if this resolves the issue.In some cases, you will need to follow the wiring to where it runs to disconnect and re wire as needed.If this is not an option you may need to speak with a local repair facility or install facility that installs immobilizers similar to yours to see if they can obtain a diagram for you to then remove and re wire as needed.If this was already attempted or checked into let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete