Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 1995 polaris magnum 425 4x4. I can't get it into…

Customer Question
I have a 1995...

I have a 1995 polaris magnum 425 4x4. I can't get it into gear while running at idle. I can put it in any gear and start it and it will go anywhere but when I stop I can't get it out of gear without shutting it down. Here is what I've tried: new secondary clutch, cleaned primary clutch (seems to be in good shape, no slack or sloppy weights ect..), adjusted the idle down as far as it will go, new belt. With the clutch cover off I can see the primary clutch start to contract about an inch as soon as I start the motor so the belt is engaged and already driving the secondary clutch so it makes sense that it only grinds when I try to put it in gear. Is it the clutch or clutch spring or is there another way to lower the idle?

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

No slippage and it is an automatic

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Magnum yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes see first meassage

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That is about all i know

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
Answered in 4 days by:
3/20/2018
Motorcycle Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 4 months ago
Pete, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here since your question has been sitting for so long.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

From what you have described here this can be due to a fault with the clutch itself.I would have the clutch components inspected for any wear or damage if this has not been done already.If an issue is found it will need replaced.If this was already checked and found o.k. let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete