Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

2006 KTM65 SX I just replaced the fork seals. After fork…

2006 KTM65 SX I just...
2006 KTM65 SX I just replaced the fork seals. After fork assembly I compressed each fork leg down and observed the rebound. One of the forks bounces back with no rebound resistance. The other has good resistance? There is no adjustment on these forks. I would like to know if this is normal? If it is not, what would be the fix?
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/15/2018
asphaltcycles
asphaltcycles, Motorcycle Mechanic

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I would like to help you today. Lets get started by seeing what the symptoms are, and see if we can diagnose it together.

No this is not normal. What fork oil did you use, how much, and did you use the same amount in both?

I used Motul light 5 W and yes, I pumped the piston a ton of times on each one loading the cartridge then filling both 100 mm from the top of the forks

Ok, you've done it the right way, but the cartridge is not seating for some reason, allowing bypass. I would just pull her apart again, and make sure its seated, then you should be good.

When you say not seated, what exactly do you mean. Where the cartridge bolts at the bottom of the fork?

Correct, for some reason a seal or the valve itself in the cartridge is not seating well against its mating surface and allowing a bypass. You've done everything right though. I would just pull it apart, inspect it, and reassemble.

asphaltcycles
asphaltcycles, Motorcycle Mechanic