Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

Sounds like the starter skips the teeth after bike is warm.

Sounds like the starter...

Sounds like the starter skips the teeth after bike is warm. Has been problem for years. Dealers prior suggestions: Starter: Done twice. Primary auto adjuster tightening too much. Replaced with manual. Now suggesting clutch pack, Really tired of spending for incorrect dealer guessing.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

No clutch problem at all. No problem shifting. After discussing prior "fixes", they are guessing at something else.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your motorcycle?

2007 road king. I am aware of other riders with same year, same problem. They have same problem trying tofix.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?

New Starter Drive, then New OEM Starter, Replaced auto Primary adjuster with manual.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Currently 40,000 miles. But this has been doing this since 5,000 miles.off and on.

3/15/2018
Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic

the problem is the starter drive backing out due to not enough current to the starter to keep it engaged while turning the starter motor.

it can also happen if you roll the throttle while starting. that must never be done.

the most common causes are:

- worn starter

- battery with low capacity

- high resistance connection between the battery and solenoid, solenoid and starter motor.

- and the 102 tooth starter ring gear w/ 10 tooth pinion

based on your experience to date, I would recommend a thorough evaluation of all 3 battery cables. check that all 3 have a clean, tight connection and that the cables are actually tightly crimped in the lugs with no signs of corrosion. replace any cables that don't appear "new".

an Interstate battery is always a good choice, when you get to the point of needing a new battery. to determine that, measure the battery terminal voltage with the ignition OFF, ignition ON and with the start button depressed. the ignition OFF reading should be around 12.7 vdc. (100% charge). it should drop slightly when you turn the ignition ON. maybe to around 12.5-12.3 vdc, but at least stay above 12.0v. with the start button depressed, it should not drop below 11.5 vdc but must remain at least above 11.0v.

if you want to check your charging system to ensure it's keeping the battery topped off, the battery should read around 14.2 vdc at around 2,000 rpm.

if the cables and battery are good and the starter is new I would suggest replacing the starter ring gear and drive pinion. the 102T ring gear w/ 10T pinion never worked well since it was introduced in 1994. when I was at Custom Chrome, we developed a 66T ring gear/ 9T replacement. they are available from most aftermarket distributors. makes all the difference in the world.

Steve

New starter clutch drive was first try. Seemed to help for about a month. Next a new o.e.m.starter. Again seemed to help for another month or so. Two new high amp batteries. That didn't change anything. All clean tight connections. One Harley dealer admitted that year was problematic with this. Only logical possible solution you suggest is the gear replacement. I haven't heard that before. My theory is something possibly the ring gear flexes when it gets hot. I can start when cold 100 times fine. Only after warming up it malfunctions.
Dealership also suggested the auto adjust primary was over tightening causing the ring gear to be pulled out of alignment. Do you think that is a possibility or do you firmly feel changing the gear ratios are best?

I said nothing about the starter clutch.

please READ my answer.

thank you,

Steve

I understand your statement. My last question, to clarify is do you place any credence on the fact that something is changing value under higher temperatures? Possibly metal flexing or slightly higher compression when engine is hot?

- nothing is flexing.

- a slightly higher static compression when warm would be normal but well within the torque requirements of the stock starter, unless the compression has been raised above stock.

Steve

Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic