Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

WILL NOT START. TURN OVER HAS A SPARK AND STILL WILL NOT…

WILL NOT START Mechanic's...

WILL NOT START

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

TURN OVER HAS A SPARK AND STILL WILL NOT START

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your motorcycle?

07 ARCTIC CAT 90

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?

REPLACED THE PLUG, CLEANED THE CARB

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

THAT IT

It turns over fast but is not starting, it has a spark and that fuel is in the ON position .
Or you working on a answer ?
3/13/2018
asphaltcycles
asphaltcycles, Motorcycle Mechanic

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I would like to help you today. Lets get started by seeing what the symptoms are, and see if we can diagnose it together.

Have you tried to spray some starting fluid into it to confirm we have compression and spark? If it fires, this will tell us immediately that there is a fuel starvation issue. When you cleaned the carb, did you dip it overnight in a solution?

Tried spraying starter fluid through the breather. Did not dip there carburetor overnight.

ok, and with starter fluid did it run for a moment?

No
It seemed as if the starter fluid didn't make a difference

OK, but you confirmed it has spark? If it does, it should at least try to fire on starter fluid.

I did not notice a big difference, should I try spraying more fluid or pull the plug and spray inside the piston ?
I checked the gap it was .028

You should only spray the fluid into the carb directly. It should run for a quick second. When you say big difference, what do you mean? It should either fire or not.

I will spray it directly into the carburetor , Difference meaning I did not see a difference.

OK so if we have starter fluid going in, and still no fire, the plug might be fouled already. Can you clean it and put it back in?

What's the best way to clean it ?

Spray the engine side of the plug with carburetor cleaner, and use a clean rag to remove any carbon, or fuel build up.

Thank you. .. it is running now. I appreciate the suggestions.

Awesome, so it sounds like your carb clean did the trick, and the plug just needed a little extra help. I'm glad you are up and running.

If I have helped you today, please take the time to rate my service, that is how we are paid. Thanks!

The expert did a great job narrowing down there problem. I thought he had a lot of good starting points to check first.

Thank you, ***** ***** some how ended up here in the chat. It might be best if you click the number of stars.

asphaltcycles
asphaltcycles, Motorcycle Mechanic