Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I just bought a 2001 yamaha roadstar 1600 cc and when

Customer Question
I just bought a...

I just bought a 2001 yamaha roadstar 1600 cc and when pressing the ignition button it does not crank just makes a click sound battery is brand new

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?

Yes but it doesnt crank at all just makes a click sound like the solenoid

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your CC?

01 yamaha roadstar 1600 cc

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your CC yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just putting a new battery but it still doesnt crank just clicks

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just that thanks

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
Answered in 2 days by:
3/12/2018
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 4 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer; an independent site with members providing product information, repair tips and technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.
My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your question regarding your "... 2001 yamaha roadstar 1600..."
I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

Initially, let's try check and review the basics. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done) and even if just for test purposes:

• • re-inspect the battery, its ground lines to the harness, frame & engine, and/or re-check and re-clean the battery cables + terminals, connectors and wiring including fuse(s), fuse holder(s) and fusible link(s) (if so equipped);
  • • more importantly, have the battery externally charged; and
  • • then also have the battery LOAD TESTed (even if new/charged and just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect);
  • • locate the starter relay, start by following the big cable from the + terminal of the battery as it always ends up tied to 1 of the 2 big terminals of the starter relay/solenoid;
  • • jump the 2 big terminals of the starter relay using an old wrench or screwdriver. Expect a big spark. Starter motor should turn;
  • • if yes, but the starter relay still only clicks (or no click) when attempting to start, then the starter relay is likely faulty and/or the circuitry attendant to it;
  • • if not, then the starter motor and/or battery-cables would be the suspect.

In some instances, it may be an engine issue.

Or in some others, a ground concern. It may help to hardwire a secondary ground line from the battery's - terminal to the frame, to the engine and to the harness' black wires and their common tie points.