Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 2012 Harley Seventy-Two that won't start. I can…

Customer Question
Good morning. I have...

Good morning. I have a 2012 Harley Seventy-Two that won't start. I can hear the starter click once each time I try to start it. It has a brand new battery in it so I know that's not the problem. Occasionally I can get it going by tapping the starter motor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

I think the noise is coming from the starter relay. It's not the loud clicking of a low battery. It's quieter and subtler. I had it in for servicing two weeks ago, and it did the same thing there. They took it into the garage, did something, brought it out running, and told me it looked like the starter.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '12 motorcycle?

XL1200V

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?

That's the direction I'm heading

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Motorcycle
3/8/2018
Motorcycle Mechanic: Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 1 month ago
Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic

a soft "click" is a bad starter relay.

a loud "click" is a bad starter solenoid.

the solenoid is part of the starter assembly.

if I were you, I'd change the starter relay. if that doesn't resolve your issue, you're looking at a new starter.

make sure all battery cables have a clean and tight connection and the cable part is securely crimped into the lugs. I've seen them get corroded and just fall out........remember, Harley buys all the parts they don't make from the lowest bidder.

Steve

Motorcycle Mechanic: Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 29 days ago

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please click ACCEPT.

thank you,

Steve

Steve
Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic