Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a Yamaha TT-R50 motorcycle. I have trouble starting…

I have a Yamaha TT-R50...
I have a Yamaha TT-R50 motorcycle. I have trouble starting this bike. When I press the starter button, it will sometimes start and other times it does nothing. I think I have a short somewhere in the starter system. What or how is the quickest /easiest way to trouble shoot the problem with this system. I would appreciate any help or consideration anyone could give me concerning this matter.
Answered in 1 day by:
3/8/2018
TIMOTO
TIMOTO, Motorcycle Mechanic

First you need to have the battery load tested to be certain it is good.

Second you need to be certain that the cables that connect to the battery are clean and tight as well as the positive cable connection to the starter relay and the cable between the starter relay and the starter motor.

Third check the low voltage side of the starter relay using a test light. There should be battery voltage at the low voltage wires for the relay when the starter button is pressed. If the is no battery voltage when the button is pressed then you need to trace the power wire to the relay back to the button, the fuse, and the ignition switch looking for a bad wire connection.

Please leave a five star rating so that I can get credit for assisting you. After rating you can add a reply at any time if you need further assistance with this problem.

TIMOTO
TIMOTO, Motorcycle Mechanic
Thanks for replying back to me. I was wondering if you knew of a good location on the web where I could find a copy of the manual for this particular motorcycle. Thanks