Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 2003 honda cbr 954rr. I am having an issue trying…

Customer Question
I have a 2003 honda...
I have a 2003 honda cbr 954rr. I am having an issue trying to start my bike. I recently rebuild the engine. Per the cbr 954rr manual the timing is correct. I checked for spark by removing each coil and spark plug grounded them and have spark on each and every one. Tested the compression and the compression is good. I sprayed starting fluid into cylinder and it still doesn't crank. I checked for gas and I don't see fuel injectors spraying a mist of gas into cylinders but I can hear the fuel pump prime. I am starting to hear a funny noise coming from the fuel pump when I turned on the engine start stop switch. I checked the fuel pressure regulator and its not leaking I continue to turn it over and now one cylinder is getting the right amount of gas and firing but the other 3 are not. The ignition coil connectors are on correctly. I am just lost as to why my bike won't start up with a new battery
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
Answered in 7 days by:
3/12/2018
Motorcycle Mechanic: asphaltcycles, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 3 months ago
asphaltcycles
asphaltcycles, Motorcycle Mechanic

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I would like to help you today. Lets get started by seeing what the symptoms are, and see if we can diagnose it together.

Are you positive that all injectors are connected and have no issues with the wiring? If that is the case, and the fuel pump is making a funny noise, I would replace that pump. Usually they make a racket before they go out, that noise is them having a very hard time priming.

I will replace the fuel pump today. Yesterday I replaced the ignition pulse generator and nothing changed. I rechecked the spark and the spark plugs give a strong spark in the beginning but gets weaker as the motorcycle continues to turn over. I changed the throttle body unit just to see if the previous one is bad and it is doing the same thing

Awesome, that will solve your issue for sure. If for some reason it won't you might want to get the injectors cleaned, but this pump should do it.

I replaced the pump and that didn't work. The odd thing about this bike is that last week only cylinder 2 was getting gas and spark but the other three I didn't get any gas. Monday I turned it over and all 4 cylinders were getting gas but the gas didn't spark. Yesterday I tried to start it after I replaced the fuel pump but only cylinder 1 is getting gas . I don't know what to think could be wrong but I am starting to suspect it may be the ecm. I checked for codes and none are present

The pump should have fixed that. If not, you are correct, we are not getting signal to the injectors to open and let fuel in. This could be the connection, an issue with the harness, or the ECU itself. It this issue was there, then not, and now back again, you know what I'm going to say, that sounds like ECU for sure. A weak pump would do this too, but we've eliminated that now.

I ordered a ecu for my bike today. It is suppose to arrive Tuesday. I will keep you posted on whether or not this resolves the issue. Thanks
I installed the ecu and that didn't fix the problem. I checked my fuel pressure regulator and it is leaking gas into the vacuum line. I also unhooked my bank angle sensor and jump wired it and I can see all cylinders are igniting but I think if I get a new fuel pressure regulator and bank angle sensor then I should be good to go.