Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

Any buddy home, 1989 Suzuki lt80 atv two stroke ,turns over…

Any buddy home Mechanic's...

Any buddy home

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your bike?

1989 Suzuki lt80 atv two stroke ,turns over will not start has good spark good compression #90 cleaned carb.new piston and rings.new plug

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

New battery

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '90 motorcycle?

1989 quad

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes me and friend

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Its my friend quad

3/1/2018
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your question regarding your "...1989 Suzuki lt80..." I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

Initially, 90PSI seems a bit on the low side. With new piston and rings, should be considerably higher.

Additionally (and if have not been done), ensure that the bottom of the crankcase as well as the exhaust system is clean and free of carbon deposits, oil sludge, and gunk.

thanks, will take off exhaust and chex also bottom end

Yes please.

And update when able / if needed.

1989 suzuki lt80 atv does it have points

I re-checked the wiring diagram / Service Manual; no breaker / contact point used.

The ignition unit is integrated into the ignition coil.

And this would be a least likely suspect based on the earlier description of "...has good spark..."

Hello Lily we pulled off the exhaust and it still didn't start has good compression good spark we cleaned out the carburetor still no start
Hello Louie sorry about that I'm using talk text

I understand and no prob.

Is the original air box + filter installed?

Consider / try starting while your palm is covering the carb mouth. Check if:

• there is strong vacuum;
  • fuel would wet your palm.

Hi again,

Any update?

Thank you for asking, it's been raining weather sucks haven't connected with my friend I'll let you know in a few days thanks for your reply
Hey Louie just got an update for my friend has 110 compression took off the exhaust nothing will not start poured some gas down the spark plug hole nothing good spark

Please ask if the reeds were checked / cleaned.

The 110 is still on the low side. Have another compression checked but spray WD40 through the spark plug hole before the testing.

To my recollection, it should be at least 130 and with new piston and rings, around 180

Okay I'll ask him I know the Piston came with the new cylinder head
Louie I wonder if its the bottom in. Are you west coast East Coast what is your location can I call you

Thanks for asking; phone call is a Premium Service with additional fees.

Yes please on the reeds and again an update when conveniently able.

The more the expected compression to be high; new piston and rings...new cylinder head.

And of course (re-)check the ring gaps.

Okie dokie

Cheers.

Good morning spray some WD-40 down compression went up to about 135 40 ring Gap was good. It did start up after about 2 minutes of cranking it over RAN about a minute. Then it shut itself off couldn't get it to start after that had to recharge battery
It's raining pretty good here in California where we are going to try to hook up Saturday maybe it's the wiring and I ain't got a clue

I understand.

And as long as there is spark when attempting to start / cranking, then it would least likely be an electrical issue.

Where do I start. what am I looking for don't have a book there was four wires coming out . I do have a nice Craftsman tester.

"...four wires coming out..." of which part?

And the model number of the Craftsman tester please?

Wires were coming out bottom right side if you're sitting on it Craftsman model number I have to wait till I get home I'll let you know later
Craftsman 31937511 8 Function Digital Multimeter.
If you don't mind me asking louie what state are you in

Currently, I am in another region.

Can you please provide the wire colors of these "...Wires were coming out bottom right side..."

Perhaps better yet, would a wiring diagram help?

I'm not there I'm at work I plan on hooking up tomorrow I'll let you know what the colors are
Yep on the wire diagram

I understand.

And yes please, when able on the update.

Click/tap HERE.

The wiring diagram is in a Portable Document Format (PDF) file and can be viewed in most web browser. Right click on the link to "Save as", click on the link to open the file and/or click on the "Download" button to download the file. It would require Adobe Acrobat Reader or equivalent for this purpose.

I got the wire diagram thank you I text my buddy to see if he can tell me what colors the wires are

If no spark and for test purposes, disconnect (temporarily) the black/yellow wires of the ignition switch and the left handle bar switch.

Okay I will do that I'll let you know

Cheers.

Louie, Technician
hi sir
are you open for??? today
Disconnected yellow and black wire no start

While attempting to start, measure the voltages of:

• this yellow/black wire;
  • black/red wire of the ignition coil;
  • black/white wire of the ignition coil; and
  • black/red wire from the magneto.
At home now. Will do in a few days

No prob; when able.

Good morning Louie, I did not do the test but the quad started. It started up it took a while but it would start stay running then it will shut itself off. We try starting it and it kept turning over turning over it took about a minute then it finally started again . We did it two more times and it did start but it takes a while about a minute then I'll finally start up
Hi Louie. The qusd will turn over after a while it will start and then we'll try it again then it take even longer to start sometimes it won't start

Please check the condition of the spark plug tip when "...stay running then it will shut itself off ...it won't start..."

...dry? ...oily wet? ...fuel wet? ...color?

Ensure / check that 2-T oil is mixed correctly to the fuel.

Okay I will check.thank you

Cheers.

Hello sir the plug was wet when it wouldn't start I will take it off and it was wet,it have good "SPARK " when it ran I did not take it off and check to see if it was wet or dry. The spark is so strong and bright I can probably light a cigarette off of it
Hopefully today he'll go put some new gas in it and a new plug

Yes please.

Check if oily wet or fuel wet.

...and the 2-T too.

Ok

Copy that.

hi Louie , going to put in some new gas in and change the spark plug today 3-30-2018 1pm pacific standard time hopefully it will start and stay RUNNING
I will also Check if oily wet or fuel wet.

Yes please.

A friendly reminder; 2-stroke engines by their very design requires that 2-T oil is also fed to the engine and not only gasoline. This can be done by the built-in oil injector or by pre-mixing before pouring into the tank.

10/4,copy that

Cheers.

Hello Louie, I'm just waiting on my friend to change the gas to see how it goes on the 80 quad
I have a 2003 Yamaha 660 Raptor
When I ride it it's slipping I put a new new clutch plates steel discs still does the same thing