Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 2008 Honda CBR600RR. I installed a new battery

Customer Question
Hello, I have a 2008 Honda...
I have a 2008 Honda CBR600RR.
I installed a new battery because I knew I needed one. The new battery that I installed is the exact same battery as the previous battery that I had for six plus years. Once installed, I started my bike. It started quickly and strong on the first try, no trouble at all. I let my bike idol to 200+ degrees for about 10 minutes or so, then about one hour later I started it again. Again, no trouble started strong and quick.
The bike ran at idol for a few minutes then I shut it off.
Then I tried restarting it for the third time about 10 minutes later. This time it wouldn’t start?
It was turning over just fine, but not starting. I tried multiple times, but still nothing.
I let the bike sit for an hour or so with a battery tender hooked up to it. Everything is charged, fueled, and should have no issues, then I realize when I first turn the key to initiate the start up of the bike, I always heard a “electrical or electrical mechanical type sound” once I turned the key within the ignition everytime. However I was NOT hearing this anymore.
Everything seamed to be in “normal” working order with the bike except for this new diagnosis I noticed that wasn’t happening anymore.
Do you have any idea as to what would cause this?
I did check the one (main)30A fuse that's on the bike. It was fine. However I didn’t go through any of the fuses within the “fuse box” itself.
My next course of action was going to look into the “starter relay”, but I wanted to touch base with an experienced mechanic (like yourself) before I go any further.
Thank you for your time and efforts in helping me through this process.
Sincerely,
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
Everything I asked within my question covers what I wanted to ask you.
2/12/2018
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 7 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your question regarding your "...2008 Honda CBR600RR..." I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

Hello Louie.
Thanks for your assistance on this

Appears not to be priming.

Initially, let's try check and review the basics. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done) and even if just for test purposes:

• • attempt to start again;
  • • remove the spark plugs;
  • • check burn color of spak plug tips;
  • • note if tips did get with fuel;
  • • carefully perform a spark test / click HERE.

If not wet with fuel:

• • check/replace the fuel pump fuse;
  • • check/gently tap/test/replace the fuel pump relay;
  • • check/test/bypass/replace the vehicle down / bank angle / tip over sensor.
What are your thoughts about me unable to hear the electrical audible sound I’ve always heard prior to every start up when turning my ignition key. ?
spark plugs weather their wet with fuel or not wouldn’t change the fact of the lack of hearing that electrical audible sound I’m referring to.

The "...electrical audible sound..." on initial ignition on would be the fuel pump priming. As above posted; ...Appears not to be priming.

Absence of fuel wetness would confirm no fuel delivery = no fuel pump action = no priming.