Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 1992 FXR that I have just fitted a Revolution 85…

Hi, I have a 1992 FXR...
I have a 1992 FXR that I have just fitted a Revolution 85 cube bolt on kit to as well as an ev27 Andrews cam and new performance lifters with a new steel cam chest breather.
All clearances are correct....Timing is correct for cam ,breather and ignition, problem is Bike wants to push out a significant amount of oil from the breather which is lower crankcase type and the filter sits just above the primary, makes a mess and dangerous for oil on rear wheel.
I have checked Cam,Breather Timing 3 Times and all is fine.
Bike never had this problem prior to rebuild.
10.5.1 comp ratio.
Any Ideas?
Cheers
Errol
1/21/2018
Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic

the most common cause of those symptoms is an over filled oil tank or replacing the gear case cover to a late EVO (head breather) style.

- my recommendation is to throw the breather hose filter in the trash. it's not necessary and performs no function.......off idle, the breather pushes air out. there is nothing to filter.

- verify the HOT oil tank level. with the engine running and the oil cap out, you should be able to hear the engine breath and see an air void above the oil level when looking into the filler neck.

- this, of course, assumes the valve and breather timing is actually correct, as stated.

- re-route the breather hose under the transmission, along the frame. you may have to twist the fitting at the crankcase to allow re-routing the hose. if you do....turn it CCW 1/2 turn.

let me k ow if you need more help.

Steve

Can you please send me your phone call service again.

I don't do phone calls.

everything I have to say is in the answer above.

Steve

Ok,
Problem is, Oil level is well below filler neck (50 mm), breather is in same position it has always been and never had a problem,
Oil is returning to tank as it should while looking into tank.
Is it possible that the aftermarket breather is faulty as it is the mesh type when the stock one has much larger holes in it and never had a prob before?
I did notice when I removed the Oil Filter that it was only half full and no oil ran out of the filter housing but oil pressure is fine.
The gear case cover is original (the bike is early 92 so does not have the umbrella valves in the heads for head breath.)
HOT oil level is still 40 mm below neck.
it has an aftermarket oil cooler fitted but never had a problem with it before rebuild.
Bike was ridden hard on many rides before rebuild and never spat oil like it is now.
I am at a loss.......
The only changes are, the big bore kit, Cam,lifters and Breather. It will spit about 60-70 ml of oil in 50kms.....HEAPS.....
Comp ratio has been raised from stock to 10.5.1 possible cause?
Ring seal is excellent according to comp and cylinder leak down tests......
I have tried to send pic of timing marks......hope it works.......
As I stated before.......With the borescope inserted in the cylinders there is no sign of any bore scuffing or glazing of any kind and engine has done 300 kms...So you can appreciate my frustration with this as I have stripped and checked on 3 occasions because of all the oil running from the breather hose all over the primary and onto the road in front of the rear wheel, so redirecting the breather hose under the frame is a major concern to me because IF it does not solve the problem there will be a direct oil feed to the rear wheel where at the moment the primary is catching a bit and allows me to stop and mop it up with a rag..
Any other Ideas would be appreciated.
Errol

-the holes in the breather mesh are not your issue. the mesh only prevents metallic debris from entering the gear case and and oil pump. it's the tiny little hole in the inboard end of the breather that draws oil out of the cavity so that it does not go out the hose. I don't care if you leave a filter on it, or re-route it or not. it's not dumping oil all over my bike.

- the oil filter is on the return side of the oil system. it has nothing to do with oil pressure. but there is no way it cannot be full if it is returning oil.

- compression ratio has nothing to do with oil in the breather.

- for the breather to dump oil, it means there is too much oil in the breather cavity. this can only be caused by too much oil entering the cavity because it is overwhelming the oil pump scavenging capacity OR the oil entering the cavity is normal and the breather is not drawing up fast enough. if you failed to properly space the steel breather gear, the scavenging hole may not be lined up correctly.

- if you still have the plastic gear, put it back in and see if that doesn't solve your problem.

- if you don't, buy one from HD.

Steve

Thanks Steve,
I apologise if I have frustrated or insulted you but your second response has offered up the answers I have been looking for.(the oil filter is on the return side of the oil system. it has nothing to do with oil pressure. but there is no way it cannot be full if it is returning oil.)
So highlights a POSSIBLE oil return issue as the filter IS only half full so will double check this.
Your explanation of the breather is the most helpful.
"for the breather to dump oil, it means there is too much oil in the breather cavity. this can only be caused by too much oil entering the cavity because it is overwhelming the oil pump scavenging capacity OR the oil entering the cavity is normal and the breather is not drawing up fast enough. if you failed to properly space the steel breather gear, the scavenging hole may not be lined up correctly."
You have given me 2 options to look at here, pump scavenging capacity and "if you failed to properly space the steel breather gear, the scavenging hole may not be lined up correctly." SO will certainly look at this.
One more Question.
Would a cheap aftermarket oil filter cause a return problem or could it be something else?
I know it is probably a dumb question, But being a tradesman automotive spray painter I have probably sucked in to many fumes over the years : )
Errol

- the oil pump sucks oil out of the V notch under the cam and pumps it through the filter, back to the oil bag. that's why it can't be half full. there is no way for the oil to get out of the filter except to be displace and forced back, uphill, to the oil bag. it's just not possible.

- double check the end play on the breather gear. ensure you use a "used" gearcase cover gasket to get the most accurate end play.

Steve

Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Sorry, I've just double checked the filter and found the bloody seal damaged in the filter so it actually leaked out down the front of the engine but couldn't tell because of the large amount of oil from the breather.
I used a new gasket when I measured the clearance for the Breather......Shall use the one I took Off now.
Thanks for your patience Steve.
Errol
Steve
Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic