Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

2015 ranger 900 with 200 miles ran great this morning, shut…

2015 ranger 900 with...

2015 ranger 900 with 200 miles ran great this morning, shut it off and will now only fire on either. max speed is 30 mph in hi now and seems like its not getting enough fuel under load. bad pump?

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Havent driven it enough to know fuel usage, wont start this afternoon unless i use starting fluid

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?

I havent tried anything yet, yes i was going to try to fix it myself

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

This morning i got in it and didn't let it cycle before i hit the start, since then it wont start

1/11/2018
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your question regarding your "...2015 Polaris Ranger XP 900..." I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

Initially, let's try check and review the basics. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • attempt to start normally but work the throttle as if deliberately flooding the engine;
  • • remove the spark plugs:
  • - determine if the tips did get wet with fuel;
  • - note the burn colors of the spark plug tips;
  • - and cautiously perform spark tests;
  • • crank the engine still with no spark plugs;
  • - hear/feel if the injectors are clicking.
I have checked all of the above out and it's fine. I also took the hose off the output of the fuel pump, supposed to be 58 psi of fuel pressure. I don't have a fuel psi gauge but I can hold my thumb over it and keep any fuel from coming out. My guess is a bad pump.

I understand.

And yes; based on this, replacement would then serve as both an attempt of a fix and as a test by process of elimination.

Louie, Technician