Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 550 Polaris quad. The clutch mechanism is making…

Customer Question
I have a 550...

I have a 550 Polaris quad. The clutch mechanism is making horrible noises when either forwards or reverse gear is selected. Changing gears is very difficult. The belt is not damaged. I have removed the cover and nothing obvious is apparent. Any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

Clutch is not slipping. Very difficult to shift gears. Noise is only evident when idling when quad is stationary

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your 550?

2013

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 550 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I don't know what to fix because I cannot see anything wrong. I am quite capable if I can find out what is wrong

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes. The universal joint on front drive shaft is gone. Needs replacing. Is the yoke / splined shaft on front differential easy to remove. Hoe do you remove the retaining pin thrughthe yoke and splined input to differential

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
1/9/2018
Motorcycle Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 6 months ago
Pete, Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

I see no one has posted any help with this here.In some cases this can be due to the info you may be looking for may be difficult to obtain or the correct person that can help may not be online.

You may have to have this inspected by a shop or dealer since no one has posted any info here on what to do with this.I would have the clutch linkage checked for any broken components or damage that may be causing this fault needing repaired or replaced.If this is not an option for you or was already checked into let me know here so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

I was expecting some helpful information regarding the problem with my Polaris quad.
I am really annoyed that this most disappointing experience has cost me $5.00 AUD initially to join, then another $36.00 AUD for technical support. What support have I received- well not much.
I will be posting the experience on Facebook as a real con job.
Don't bother responding because I don't want to throw any more good money after bad!!

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete