Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

My rear brake reservoir was dry from setting in super hot…

Customer Question
My rear brake reservoir...

My rear brake reservoir was dry from setting in super hot weather for six months .Is there any thing special I need to do when adding brake fluid?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? When was it last changed?

There was no brake fluid and no brakes It was changed 2 yrs. ago.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Special?

2006 versa v-rod

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Special yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'am and I put brake fluid in it and my brakes are working fine.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
1/8/2018
Motorcycle Mechanic: Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 7 months ago
Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic

your brake reservoir was not dry from setting in hot weather. it does not evaporate at ambient temperatures.

- before adding fluid, check the cap to ensure you are adding the correct type.

- verify the level is not low because the brake pads are worn out. replace the rear brake pads as necessary before adding fluid. check for leaks at the rear brake light switch and caliper. correct any leaks.

- add fluid to about 3/4 full. do not over fill.

- if the brakes no not pump right up, you will need to bleed the rear brake line and caliper.

let me know if you need more help.

Steve

Motorcycle Mechanic: Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 6 months ago

if you don't need more help, Please ACCEPT my answer.

let me know if you have other questions.

Steve