Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 2006 Honda Rancher TE that was having some shifting…

I have a 2006 Honda...
I have a 2006 Honda Rancher TE that was having some shifting issues that could be a shift fork issue. I’ve been using the Service and Clymer manuals as a guide along with v main to reinstall the and counter shafts. My question is once both the counter and main shafts are installed back into the case, should all the gears on both shafts turn a full 360 degrees in unison when manually turning the main shaft. I’m trying to make sure they are installed correctly before putting the shift drum and case back together.
1/8/2018
Eric, Technician

hello,

When both shafts are installed, as well as the shift drum and shift forks into place, yes they should turn. If you do not have the shift drum and shift forks into position it the shafts may not turn with each other. This is because the sliding gears all need to be in correct position otherwise the gear shafts will fight each other and may not turn correctly. It does not matter really which position the shift drum is in either. I hope this answers your question. If not please let me know and I will try to explain further. thank you.

Eric, Technician
Thanks Eric. What you are saying, is what I was hoping and thinking was the case. I studied the movement of the gears very closely yesterday and began to see how the gears move. With the shafts installed into the case, I can lift up on the gears and hold them in place so the gears mesh and I am able to spin the main shaft and the gears will turn all together a complete 360 degrees if I hold just right. I appreciate your confirmation. After doing all of this work, I can kinda see why Honda wanted 1500.00 to do this job. It’s a lot of work and has to be right. This gives me a little more confidence that the transmission is installed correctly. This is the 3rd time I have split the case since July. I’m close to giving up but I want to give it one more time. I may submit another question regarding the timing marks on the flywheel but hopefully I’ll get it right this time. Thanks.