Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 2014 KTM 500 EXC, starts and runs fine, wack the…

I have a 2014...

I have a 2014 KTM 500 EXC, starts and runs fine, wack the throttle and it is "flame out" time, fuel pump is good, fuel line and filter, TPS is adjusted to max rich ( I have not checked the voltage ) comrpession is 121psi with the decompression connected, valves are spot on.

Mechanic's Assistant: When did you last fill the tank? And do you smell gasoline around the engine?

Last fill today as I was working on it, no smell of gas.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '14 motorcycle?

KTM 500 EXC

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes fixing myself,

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

New coil, New Stator, New fuel Pump, valves in spec

Answered in 1 day by:
1/8/2018
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your question regarding your "...2014 KTM 500 EXC..." I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

Initially, let's try check and review the basics. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • check burn color of spark plug tip;
  • • check/compare battery voltage during idling and when attempting to rev;
  • • ensure air box + air filter are fitted correctly with no possibility of an air leak.

Please try the KTM with the regulator (temporarily) disconnected.

With the regulator disconnected, bike at idle had battery voltage ( 12.6 in this case ) rev it went down to 12.15 but stalled on the second attempt to rev.

Appreciate the update.

Please consider / try to check / clean / soak / test the injector. Click HERE for insight if needed.

I have cleaned, both methods, opening and closing using a 9vokt battery and leaving the injector closed, I did this after I thought the fuel pump had worn itself out.

That it idles good and the voltage holds would almost always eliminate electrical/ignition as a potential suspect.

Which then points us back to a (most likely) fuel delivery/issue.

Are there any inline filters installed after the pump? Even if just for test purposes, bypass any fuel filter.

Bear with me for any delays; mobile with sluggish Internet if at all.

After the fuel pump, there is a new fuel line and I have eliminated the filter for now. I am a truck/equipment mechanic who has work on my own bikes for a long time, this has me baffled.

Perplexing indeed!

Let's try out-of the-box and even if just for test purposes; restrict further the air intake. Add a layer (or more) of generic air filter over the original air filter. The idea is to force the air/fuel mix to be rich.

At this point I can reconnect the voltage regulator?

Yes to charge the battery and then try the KTM with added filter + regulator still connected.

And then try also with the regulator disconnected.

I have not been able to do this step yet, after work today I hope, I will keep you posted.

I understand; ...and an update when able.

Ok, over richen the bike, it still dies out when revving, nice little black puff of fuel out of pipe, 12.55 volts, turn key on, 11.7, start up to 12.15 with regulator disconnected. Ignition coil is also new OEM, I do not have another ECM to try but could possibly borrow one.....
Where are you from Louie?
I am in North east US Connecticut and it was riding weather today and yesterday....

Sorry to hear of this.

As we have eliminated most if not all of the potential suspects, then yes; another ECM to serve as an attempt of a fix and as a test.

And I am in another region; GMT+8.

Do you think a fuel
Programmer such as Bazzaz would suffice or just go the factory ECM?

At this point, I would lean more on using the factory ECM / a known to be good test ECM (from another bike) until everything checks good.

Ok, that may take a couple days to set up but I will update you with my findings.

Yes please.

Hey Louie,
I wasn’t able to borrow an ECU so i purchased one, original KTM, which was flashed to my bike, I installed it and now the bike won’t run at all, I am waiting to see if that problem may be a bad ECU as well, I will keep you posted.

I understand.

Consider too a potential glitch in the map loading / flashing process....or even a wrong map.

My parts guy has a call into KTM but won’t get an answer until Monday, 2 days for us here.
I have a question for you, it starts and runs fine, but won’t take quick acceleration, what if the cam chain tensioner has no tension left, in effect letting the engine go out of time.....

Doubtful as if it were so, I believe the idling would also be affected.

And the spark plug burn would be a lot darker and not be "...brownish tan..."

I shall report back when I get a known good ECU I guess....
Sorry I have the worst case problems....

...I tend to look at it as challenges.

But yes, appears to be a combination of factors which makes it more so.

And would look forward to an update when conveniently able.

Hi Louie,
I got the bike running, and it runs great with all of these new parts! As it turns out I wasn’t able to borrow an ECU, as this bike is very specific, I ordered a new one then tryed to make an appointment for the ECU to be programmed to the bike, the lead tech told he he wouldn’t do it, said I didn’t need it and to put a new injector in, KTM is very hit or miss in cleaning them, and with a high mile bike he suggested I do the injector. It worked! But now I am stuck with a factory ECU.....
Thanks for the help in this impossible fix.
Charlie

Great Charlie! Good to hear that the issue has been resolved, congratulations.

Good luck and thank you too for the opportunity to exchange information.

This was the first time I used a service like this, it worked great!
Thanks again
Charlie

Glad that the above information/exchange served your purpose and if you haven’t done so, please provide a positive rating (3 to 5 stars) at the top of your page (scroll all the way up)

Louie, Technician
Louie, Technician