Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

I have an 04 gsxr1000. A few weeks back my high pressure…

Customer Question
Hi Jeff,I have an 04...
Hi Jeff,I have an 04 gsxr1000. A few weeks back my high pressure fuel filter got clogged up. First I though my pump itself was out so I bought an ebay special for about twenty bucks. When that didnt work, I tried cleaning out the high pressure filter. Back washing it and all but it didn't work. Short term solution, I did the fuel filter hack where you drill a hole, bypassing the high pressure filter, and installed an external in line filter. This worked pretty well for a while but then the ebay special fuel pump started giving out. I ended up buying a used high pressure filter and installed my original fuel pump. Started the bike up and it ran like a champ for about fifteen min. I went around the block and it felt fine. Put it in the garage and went to start it again.. it sounds rough, like a v8 basically, and with black smoke out of the exhaust. Checked the injectors and theyre all spitting out a nice fine mist. Pulled out the plugs and they're black, two of them still wet with fuel. Fuel pump output volume is about 1200 ml per 30 seconds, within specs. I havent checked the pressure yet as I dont have a gauge for it. What do you think? I was looking around and someone said it might be the fuel pressure regulator. I have no idea how long the used filter I bought had been sitting around, but I'm guessing it might have been a bit since I got it through an online junk yard.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Motorcycle
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I bought the bike used btw, it had been sitting for a while which is prob why there was so much rust and gunk in the gas tank. It has a PCIII sitting in the trunk, but its not connected. Wasnt connected when I bought the bike. I've tried it and it seems to power up but need to hook it up to a computer to see if it's still good.
Answered in 2 days by:
1/5/2018
Motorcycle Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 1 month ago
Pete, Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Make sure all rust and debris are cleaned from all fuel components.If the fuel pump is putting out to much fuel pressure this will cause this fault needing replaced.If the fuel pressure regulator is not working like it should this can also cause this issue needing replaced.You will need to have these checked into further to locate which is the cause then repaired from there.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician