Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 2004 drz 400 that was not used for aobut 5 months.

Customer Question
I have a 2004...

I have a 2004 drz 400 that was not used for aobut 5 months. the prev owner whent to start is and it would only run with the chock wide open. When the motor is not running gas is leaking I think from a gas line. There may be a small crack or pin hole, or maybe its coming from the petcock? I don't have the manual and I don't see an off setting. How do I shut the gas off at the tank>

Mechanic's Assistant: When did you last fill the tank? And do you smell gasoline around the engine?

I just filled it about an hour ago and its trickling like a sink faucet!

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '04 motorcycle?

400E

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?

Well I don't think its the carb. I think its an issue with the fuel line coming off the take, but I can stop the flow from the tank using the petcock?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just that the bike wasn't winterized when the owner went away to college, no gas stabilizer etc... He was insisting the carb need to be rebuilt be cause of it only running on choke?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
The model is Drz 400-s Suzuki 2004
12/24/2017
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 6 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Louie

Hi My name is Glen

Hello Glen,

Initially and to avoid asking you to do something you've already tried, can you please tell me what / any and all troubleshooting / specific steps you've already attempted other than / to address the above.

Louie is it the petcock? I know it is a vacuum activated one so it its left in pri it was just keep pouring gas into carb.

Even if the petcock is faulty; i.e. allowing fuel even when no vacuum, or set to PRI, the carb's float and needle valve should stop any and all fuel flow into the carb once the bowl is full.

If it does not and there is overflow, then the needle valve is not fully seating the inlet port and allowing gas through.

Hi again and Happy Holidays!

Is further assistance / information still needed with this?