Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

Motorcycle electrical, I have juice to my ignition switch.

Customer Question
motorcycle electrical , I have juice...
motorcycle electrical ,
I have juice to my ignition switch. when I turn on the switch there is no power going thru . ok . but the question is I no longer get a power reading from the wire feeding the switch while the ignition is on. turn the switch off and its back. is the problem the switch or something beyond the switch.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
12/24/2017
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 7 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your question regarding your motorcycle. I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

Initially, re-confirm and post back with the complete make and model of the motorcycle.

Still, let's try check and review the basics. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • re-inspect the battery, its ground lines to the harness, frame & engine, and/or re-check and re-clean the battery cables + terminals, connectors and wiring including fusible links (if so equipped);
  • • more importantly, have the battery externally charged; and
  • • then also have the battery LOAD TESTed (even if new/charged and just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect);
  • • measure battery voltage:
  • - switch off;
  • - switch on.

In most instances, the described symptom of would be indicative of loose power connection(s) either at the battery terminals and/or at the connectors between the switch and the battery.

In some, it may even be poor ground.