Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a Polaris 6X6 and recently while plowing snow and…

Customer Question
Hi Jeff, I have...

Hi Jeff, I have a Polaris 6X6 and recently while plowing snow and using my winch to lift and lower the blade the battery goes dead. I thought it was the winch so I put on a new one and it still goes dead. Is it the ATV's charging system and if so can you help?

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

I thought it was my battery so I put a new one in the ATV and it went dead also.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your motorcycle?

Polaris Ranger, 500 cc 1999

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?

It's an ATV (quad) and not except for the new battery and winch.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that's all, thanks

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
Answered in 3 days by:
12/26/2017
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 8 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your question regarding your "...Polaris Ranger, 500..." I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

Initially, let's try check and review the basics. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • re-inspect the battery, its ground lines to the harness, frame & engine, and/or re-check and re-clean the battery cables + terminals, connectors and wiring including fusible links (if so equipped);
  • • more importantly, have the battery externally charged; and
  • • then also have the battery LOAD TESTed (even if new/charged and just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect);
  • • engine running, test for voltage on the yellow wire from the stator to the regulator;
  • • monitor this voltage to determine if it would proportionately increase as the RPM is increased;
  • • likewise test for voltage on the red wire from the regulator to the 8 AMP circuit breaker;
  • • monitor this voltage to determine if it would proportionately increase as the RPM is increased.