Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I HAVE AN ATV EPS PROBLEMS WITH( Electric Shift) 2006 no…

Second opinion] I HAVE...

Second opinion] I HAVE AN ATV IM HAVING EPS PROBLEMS WITH( Electric Shift)

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

2006 no leaks

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '06 Honda?

Rubicon atv TRX500Fa

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am trouble shooting myself. I have changed the stop switch on the right hand brake.Now it has began to not change gears.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No I would just like to know if there is anyother switch that will cause it not to shift on the electric shift?

Answered in 17 days by:
1/8/2018
Eric, Technician

Yes there are a few sensors and items that can cause your Rubicon to not shift. If the computer senses an issue, it will usually show -- on the display where it normally shows the gear position. Is your display showing --?

It’s showing D1 D2andESP and It’s blinking

ok the computer has sensed an issue and there is a way we can find out what it is wanting us to know. You will have to perform a procedure to get a code. The code will appear in flashes. For instance 3 short flashes is a 3 and 6 short flashes is a 6. When the display is showing this, it will repeat the code twice. So there will be a pause between codes. If you can get me the code or number of flashes I can help you determine why your atv is not shifting. The procedure is as follows.

key off

hold down on the up and down shift buttons on the left handlebar,

turn the key on, then release those buttons, then press and hold them both back down at the same time till the display starts to flash.

this may take a few times to get the timing right. But once done successfully, relay that information to me and we can go from there.

Ok it was raining today so I will try when it stops raining!!!

no problem, just let me know what you come up with, thank you.

Ok I have done the code test and it blinded 5 times
Sorry it has taken so long but I have been sick and the weather has been terrible!
Eric I need to hear from you!!!! Please thanks!!!!!

Hello again,

Ok, 5 blinks is a code 5. Also the most common fault to happen on your rubicon. This pertains the angle sensor. This sensor is a three wire sensor that is located on the left side of the motor. If you look on the side of the motor just below the exhaust pipe you will see it there. You will want to replace this sensor. This sensor going bad may have possibly done something that needs to be looked at. So if you look to the left of that sensor on the front of the motor there is a small electric motor. This is the control motor. The control motor changes the transmission gear ratio. or in other words shifts the gears in a sense. when the angle sensor goes bad it will make this motor turn one direction to the point to where it binds up the inner workings of your hondamatic. This is an easy procedure. You will want to remove that electric motor. Two 10mm bolts hold it into place. With that out, you can see inside the gear that, that control motor turns. you will want to use a screwdriver or something similar and rotate that gear one direction or the other. What you may experience is when you turn it a direction that you will feel some resistance, buy moving it past that resistance, then it will act like it frees up to where it turns freely. Then your done. This should not take alot of force. Once that is done. reassemble the control motor back into place, then replace the angle sensor. This may require loosening the exhaust off. This can be a bit of a chore, depends on how rusted everything is. But you can loosen off the exhaust studs on the cylinder head and the two pinch bolts where it meets the muffler and try to move it enough to replace that sensor. There are a couple key things in replacing this sensor though. It needs preloaded. To do this, you will attach the sensor to the motor with the connector facing the three o'clock position. Then rotate it downward to its position to where the bolt holes line up to bolt it into place. Once the sensor is installed and all is together, you will need to re-initialize the system. This procedure helps the computer re-learn the new sensor. Do as follows,

Key off,

Hold both up and down shift buttons that are on the left handlebar,

turn the key on, then release those buttons, then press up, down, up.

at this point you will hear that control motor start to spin. at this time quickly but slowly press the throttle all the way in, then all the way off.

If done successfully and the computer is happy with everything, you will see the "N" reappear where the gear position show on the display. If not you will get --. If you get -- try the procudure again.

Thats it. This will cure your code 5 unless its something like a broken wire or something else unseen. But as far as a component failure this is what fixes your code 5.

Wow Eric this is a answer for heaven I just hope i can get it all done! One is I’m disabled and two is I have no money to have Honda fix this I’m on a very fixed income! Now I think I’m going to be ok my rubicon does just fine when I first crank it up and yesterday it did good for several minutes so I’m hoping that it is just the angle sensor! I will research this on the computer and get the parts. I will get back to you and let you know how it works ok!!!!!! A 1000 thank you’d Eric!!!!!!!
You’s

no problem, thank you for your question.

Eric do I need to buy the angle sensor kit or just the sensor?
I have it(sensor)all loose and ready to replace!

should only need the sensor itself. but there is an o-ring there you will want to be sure to re-use the old one, or a new one.

Eric, Technician