Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

Our Sportsman 400 4x4 two cycle started leaking gas. It

Customer Question
Our Sportsman 400 4x4...

Our Sportsman 400 4x4 two cycle started leaking gas. It seems to be coming out of a tube from the bottom of the carb. This machine set for a lot of years, but seems to be running fine until the gas started to run out. Can you help where to look to fix. Thank you. Terry

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

No it did not turn into a gas hog. It starts up fine.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your motorcycle?

Sportsman 400 4x4 Two cycle 1995

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?

I would like to fix it myself, but not sure where to start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It was running fine, started up great. I let our son in law use it and he said all of a sudden the gas started running out.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
12/20/2017
Motorcycle Mechanic: Chase Capicotti,
 replied 7 months ago
Chase Capicotti
Hi there! It sounds like you have a classic case of stuck carburetor floats. You can try freeing them by tapping the side of the float bowl with something solid, like a screwdriver handle. If that does not work, you will unfortunately have to dissaseble the carburetor and free/clean the floats. There is also a slim chance it might free itself at some point.