Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 2013 Honda Rincon that blows the light fuse after…

Customer Question
I have a 2013...

I have a 2013 Honda Rincon that blows the light fuse after the motor is warmed up. I can run it for about 15 to 20 minutes and then it will blow the light fuse.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do all the fuses have the correct amperage for the circuits they're in?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '13 Honda?

Rincon 680

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

This is an ATV

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have put new factory bulbs in it, replaced the brake lever contacts and checked the wiring.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
12/20/2017
Motorcycle Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 7 months ago
Pete, Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Check the light bulb sockets to see if any are corroded or damaged in any way causing this fault here.I have seen the sockets become damaged in some cases before in the past causing this issue with the sockets needing replaced.If this was already checked and found o.k. let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Pete,
I have checked all wiring and light sockets.
It does not blow the fuse until the engine is hot (warmed up)
I can run it for about 5 to 10 minutes and then it blows the light fuse.
I have the correct amp fuse and the factory bulbs.

Are any lights switched on when this fuse shorts out?

Well yes
Also pops it when lights are off too

O.k., thanks, ***** ***** wanted to make sure.

So an electrical component is heating up with the engine temp which is causing high resistance or a short causing this issue here.

I have seen this occur with a short in the wiring or a switch for the lights.I don't show what all is on this fuse to tell for sure what it feeds but if there is another light switch in line with this fuse it is possible this switch is heating up and shorting out internally causing this issue here.

Unfortunately, without the correct diagrams on this model it's hard for me to say for sure which component may be causing this issue.But if there is another light switch involved with this fuse it is very possible this switch is shorting out needing replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

It’s not the switch
It has been checked out
It has something to do with the motor warming up
With it off and ignition on
I can keep the lights on forever.

O.k., let me open this up for others here to see if anyone else can help further on this that might have diagrams and info on the electronics.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 7 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your question regarding your "...2013 Honda Rincon..." I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

Initially, let's try check and review the basics. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • re-inspect the battery, its ground lines to the harness, frame & engine, and/or re-check and re-clean the battery cables + terminals, connectors and wiring;
  • • measure battery voltage when:
  • - ignition off;
  • - ignition on;
  • - attempting to start;
  • - idling;
  • - revving;
  • - after the motor is warmed up...15 to 20 minutes;
  • • try the Honda with the regulator (temporarily) disconnected.